Beating myself up over a lost job opportunity

lilmiscassie92

So I am a licensed substitute teacher, since November of last year. I just applied to graduate school, and I am working in the meantime until I find out if I got an interview invitation/get accepted for next year. I didn't have work lined up for summer, and I wanted to make extra money to put towards my loans instead of pulling from my savings (even though I had savings to support myself through summer). I ended up getting a job at a hotel here in Vegas as a server. I was working full-time as a sub at a school about 12 minutes from my house and they had asked me to come back starting in August for the new school year. I would have had my own classroom. However, when they hired me they said I would be making 100 a day and then the office manager started messing with our pay where some days we would make 90 (which is what the district pays us anyway) and other days we would make the 100. I was hesitant on taking on the responsibility of running a classroom on my own if they weren't going to give me a higher pay. Technically if it's a "vacancy" - meaning there isn't a licensed teacher running the room and it's just a substitute, I should be making 110 or 120 per day.

At my new serving job, I've been making much more and working less hours. However, now that we are approaching our less busy months, I have only been working 4 days a week and not making as much. Last night I was super stressed out because my manager gave us each a new survey audit that mystery shoppers will be using to grade us. Some of these include greeting and bringing back drinks within 2 minutes etc. However, we are not a standard restaurant. The "restaurant" is basically a bar with a bunch of lounge chairs and coffee/end tables. Many of the guests don't even know we sell food because it looks like a typical lobby. I am the only server on staff during a shift, and I need to do EVERYTHING. This includes to go/take out orders, bussing tables, serving tables, etc. When we get a rush, I can call the manager for help, but sometimes it will take them some time to get downstairs. I was really stressed out because we need to score at least a 90 or we have to get a re-audit, and we get disciplinary action if we score below an 80. I can understand if we were working at a regular restaurant where we are fully staffed and have hosts to make sure we aren't getting double or triple sat multiple times throughout my shift or a take out worker to handle the evening rush, but it gets overwhelming at times and it is my first serving job. I am starting to miss teaching now and the stable hours that it gave me (despite having the summers off). I'm contemplating on quitting this job, as I was just hired as a temporary anyway, so I was under the impression I would only be working until the end of the summer, but they only shorten your hours as a "temp" and keep you around permanently as long as you want to. Any advice would be appreciated.

If I do go back to teaching, I may not be able to come back to the old school I was at. However, I can still work daily jobs. This basically means I would go online the night before work and select which school and grade level I want to work at based on what is listed. This can be a pain though because sometimes you won't get to work at the best schools and the kids are very difficult, plus there may not be an opening/need for a sub in the grade levels you prefer to teach at.

Oh and I must add, coincidentally the office manager that messed with our pay is no longer working there! So I am constantly beating myself up and wondering how things would have worked out if I had just accepted the position :(

Edited by lilmiscassie92
Forgot to add something