Should I move on?

So I started with my company in August. It was originally going to be a second job in which I work from home most of the time. Fast forward a few months and things are going well. Looked as if I would go full time while my coworker was on maternity leave. Now apparently at my 6 month review I was told I would have to master the persona of their Facebook page in order to become a full time Social Media manager. (I am part time with no benefits). My boss was brutally honest and said the company has a very particular style and persona they use on Facebook and not everyone could do it. He said I would have master their style in order to get more working hours and to do that, they would need to like the majority of the ideas I send. I am going to give it another 6 months of giving it my best shot. I like it here, but part time $13 an hour isn't going to cut it long term and I need to do what is best for me. If I don't get more hours and/or a salary increase by one year, I will have to look elsewhere. Is it a good idea? I am a college graduate with 4 years experience in my field and I deserve better pay and full time ultimately.

Well that really depends, what is the job market like in your field? In fact, that actually doesn't really matter. While working you can still be searching for other jobs, and see what they have to offer. Since you are working, you are gaining experience in your field, and being part-time at the moment, it should allow you to do interviews without your current job knowing.

Remember just because you interview doesn't mean you have to leave your company. If in the end you work does turn into a full time job, you can easily pull your applications out and stay there. And if it doesn't turn into a full time job, you will have been well ahead in the process of moving to another company that will pay you what you are worth.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, before this job I was job searching on and off for a year since I got laid off in Dec 2013. I was doing other part time, temp and contract work in 2014. I want to stay at least a year here to show longevity, but you're right that I should see what is out there right now. I got plenty of interviews when I was in the market, so finding something else shouldn't be an issue though finding the right fit might take time.

Agreed that having a long work history does look good, but if the job seems stuck in part time, this is easily explained. When interviewing and asked about work history, you can bring up that you like your current job, but there is no real growth opportunities in it, which is important to you. This will both help explain why you are looking for a job so soon after having worked and show potential employers you would be employee that wants to grow and improve in the field, not just get a paycheck every two weeks.

Also yes, finding just the right fit is very touch, especially in today's market. I've been blessed to have some interviews in the field I am going into, and it looks like I may be getting a job offer very soon, which is very exciting. But I also know of many people that have been applying for over a year after having graduated in the same field and area, and they can't even get a job interview, it's brutal out there!

• Like 1