What if I scheduled to be off on a day and the company is closed due to snow?

It's supposed to snow sunday night in my area and I put in for a vacation day for Monday, Feb 2nd. So if the place I work is closed due to snow then what happens to my vacation day? It's just lost?

I have a feeling that it will be a big snow storm all because I am off and the whole staff will be home along with me. I will probably just lose the day so I guess the only thing to do is call out the following Monday

• Author
Yeah, that's sucks.

You know that's how life is lol Last week we were promised snow and it didn't happen but since I am off it will happen on Monday.

So if it does I will just have the first 3 mondays in feb off

2/2-snow

2/9-sick day

2/16-holiday

Talk to H.R.

if the entire company is shut down due to snow, you might be able to keep your vacation day.

Talk to your line manager rather than HR. I know mine would give the day back.

Don't take the Mondays off like that pretending to be sick creating long weekends. It shows that you are unreliable, your requests in the future won't be respected as a result.

Bad luck i guess! ...Still plenty of jobs don't shut for snow so count yourself lucky if you get the Tuesday off too! :p

SunnySide0418

I don't see why you would lose the day if the company is closed. That wouldn't be right. That's almost like them using a vacation day for a holiday. I'd speak up on this one..

• Like 1

Do you normally get paid on days the company is closed due to snow? Some companies do not compensate for this sort of thing, especially if you are considered a part time employee. If it's not usually paid for closure due to snow, then consider yourself lucky to get the day paid. If it is usually compensated and you're taking a vacation day, I would just talk to whoever handles payroll or your manager to see if anything can be done. If not, it's only one vacation day...life goes on. I sure wish I had vacation pay, but I don't get any until I am given 40 hours a week at my company. Right now, I am at 30.

• Like 1
  • Author

well luckily it only was a inch of snow and mostly rain so the job didn't have to close due to snow. I just felt that just because it was me and I was off it would be 20 inches of snow lol