Weirdest exit from a job I ever seen from a person who was employed 7 years

She didn't tell anyone she was leaving, kept it quiet and then last night she stayed extra late so she could send a email to the entire staff to say she enjoyed working with everyone and how she will miss everybody. And that was it, she hit the send button, left her work id on the desk and moved on lol

What a wacky way to leave a job you been with for 7 years. Her email was a shock to so may people

Do you know if it was a surprise to management as well?

It separates into two issues for me: the business courtesy/ethics side of things, and the interpersonal relationships side.

From the business perspective, I've only worked in "at will" states, where the company can walk you out at a moment's notice, and similarly, you can leave at a moment's notice. That's the legal perspective. It's often considered courteous for an employee to give notice (two weeks is common), and likewise, when an employer lays someone off, they will sometimes give a severance package - these are both courtesies.

From the business ethics point of view, as long as she didn't steal customers, or leave her work computer locked up to prevent someone from taking over her work, she's probably pretty much in the clear. Again, as a courtesy, an employee who plans to leave will sometimes take steps to make the transition easier for the company and the new employee, but that probably varies widely in different situations.

And then finally, the personal side - it does seem a little abrupt not to even say goodbye to people in person, but maybe she just considers everyone to be only professional associates, and so there's no reason to add any personal complications to the goodbye.

Bottom line, it does seem unusual and abrupt, and I'm a very "personable" person, even within the professional structure of a company, so I think would find it weird too. But it sounds like she was just toeing the line, and doing exactly what was required (and only what was required) ethically and professionally, to walk out the door.

What kind of person was she, within the interpersonal dynamics of the people around her within the company?

• Like 1
  • Author
Do you know if it was a surprise to management as well?

It separates into two issues for me: the business courtesy/ethics side of things, and the interpersonal relationships side.

From the business perspective, I've only worked in "at will" states, where the company can walk you out at a moment's notice, and similarly, you can leave at a moment's notice. That's the legal perspective. It's often considered courteous for an employee to give notice (two weeks is common), and likewise, when an employer lays someone off, they will sometimes give a severance package - these are both courtesies.

From the business ethics point of view, as long as she didn't steal customers, or leave her work computer locked up to prevent someone from taking over her work, she's probably pretty much in the clear. Again, as a courtesy, an employee who plans to leave will sometimes take steps to make the transition easier for the company and the new employee, but that probably varies widely in different situations.

And then finally, the personal side - it does seem a little abrupt not to even say goodbye to people in person, but maybe she just considers everyone to be only professional associates, and so there's no reason to add any personal complications to the goodbye.

Bottom line, it does seem unusual and abrupt, and I'm a very "personable" person, even within the professional structure of a company, so I think would find it weird too. But it sounds like she was just toeing the line, and doing exactly what was required (and only what was required) ethically and professionally, to walk out the door.

What kind of person was she, within the interpersonal dynamics of the people around her within the company?

Very upbeat and pleasant and sociable which is why my shyness kind of vanished when I was around her. She made it easy for me to talk to her because of down to earth and upbeat personality.

• Like 1

Meh - I wrote a limerick as my Letter of Resignation when I left my job to go back to school to get an art degree:

There once was a girl named Carrie

Whose thoughts they never did vary

Of having a degree

So she quits A.B.C.

And art she'll create extraordinary

There were two more limericks that I no longer remember but one of them had the line:

The 30th of May

Will be my last day...

• Like 1
  • Author
Meh - I wrote a limerick as my Letter of Resignation when I left my job to go back to school to get an art degree:

There once was a girl named Carrie

Whose thoughts they never did vary

Of having a degree

So she quits A.B.C.

And art she'll create extraordinary

There were two more limericks that I no longer remember but one of them had the line:

The 30th of May

Will be my last day...

Too risky for me, never know what can happened and if you need to go back the answer would be no

Very upbeat and pleasant and sociable which is why my shyness kind of vanished when I was around her. She made it easy for me to talk to her because of down to earth and upbeat personality.

So do you know if she just walked out on management without warning, too? Or did she quit kinda "normally" (i.e. with some kind of official administrative notice...) and just choose not to have there be any personal goodbyes?

• Author
So do you know if she just walked out on management without warning, too? Or did she quit kinda "normally" (i.e. with some kind of official administrative notice...) and just choose not to have there be any personal goodbyes?

Doesn't look like it because the email went to everyone. Guess she was not into to the farewell thing lol

spanishchick00

I don't think there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe she wasn't close to anyone at work and didn't want to bother with that. Like at my workplace, some people like to make a big scene about them quitting their job and moving on. They enjoy being the center of attention-they talk non-stop about their new job lined up, them moving away, them being a stay at home mom, etc, etc. Some coworkers/managers go out of their way to buy farewell cards, balloons, bring cake, bring food, then lastly, they go to each person's desk and tell them their personal good-byes, etc, etc. Good god. Its like yes, I know you are leaving this company.

• Like 2

She must not have liked the job and probably wasn't sure about herself leaving. Whatever the case may be, she obviously has problems. How old is she?

• Like 1
  • Author
She must not have liked the job and probably wasn't sure about herself leaving. Whatever the case may be, she obviously has problems. How old is she?

She is early 40's and left because the other job is closer to home and more money

Can't beat a shorter commute and more money

• Like 1
She is early 40's and left because the other job is closer to home and more money

Can't beat a shorter commute and more money

How do you know these details if,as you said earlier, she sent an email saying that "she enjoyed working with everyone and how she would miss everybody. And that was it. She hit the send button, left the work on her desk and moved on."

• Author
How do you know these details if,as you said earlier, she sent an email saying that "she enjoyed working with everyone and how she would miss everybody. And that was it. She hit the send button, left the work on her desk and moved on."

We have mutual facebook friends