when to follow up?

I went on a 2nd interview w/ a company Tuesday afternoon. I thought it went really well, he said the first 2 people I interviewed with were really impressed by me etc. He said that he would speak to the HR lady I'd been in contact with and that I'd hear from her shortly.

Weds evening, I got an email from the HR lady asking me how the interview went (so I don't think he'd been in contact with her yet). I responded first thing Thursday morning.

Well now it's Friday afternoon! Should I wait til Monday and follow up? The HR dept is 2 hours behind my time, so she would def still see an email today if I sent one.

It was almost a full week from the time I had my first interview to the time they contacted me to schedule the 2nd so maybe I'm just being impatient...

• Like 1

Did you already send a snail mail thank you note to the interviewer? If not do that immediately as your follow up.

• Like 1

How does snail mail and "immediately" work in the same sentence?

I make sure I get business cards (if not offered) to whoever interviews me. If not, I ask the HR person for the email so I can send a short thank you email.

Honestly, I've interviewed dozens and dozens of candidates for jobs as my subordinates and the thank you note was a nice touch, but it never swayed my opinion either way.

As a "hiring manager" let me tell you something though (OP), it can take longer than a week. We actually were in the midst of trying to hire someone for me and when I finally interviewed someone on Wednesday that I liked and wanted to hire, upon reaching out to the HR person, they were on vacation. The other HR person, had too much going on, so the candidate won't likely hear from our company until maybe Wednesday at best.

It's frustrating on our end too, but be patient.

I typically come back to a mad dash of emails on Monday. Personally, it's easier to follow up with someone asking for a "follow-up" to an interview, later in the Monday afternoon or Tuesday.

Ugh, just realized this thread is dated Sept 5th. Well, I'll keep this up here anyway.

• Like 1