Phone Interviewer Flaked

I had a phone interview scheduled for 6:30 tonight. It was for an assistant position at a major talent agency. It's 7 now and I never heard from the woman who was supposed to interview me. Finally at quarter of 7 I called the office and got a voicemail saying they were closed. I also emailed the recruiter 15 mins ago and didn't get a response.

What gives?

Is this a sign it was a bad place to work--they have no respect for people's time?

Should I follow up again or just let it go?

This happened to me one time and apparently there was a scheduling mixup. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

• Author
This happened to me one time and apparently there was a scheduling mixup. Shoot them an email and see what they say.

I did. I haven't heard back. :/

I did. I haven't heard back. :/

The message you heard said the office was closed right? Give them 24 hours.

Scheduling mix ups happen, as do emergencies. Do not make assumptions until you hear from them.

• Like 2
TheFinalWord
I had a phone interview scheduled for 6:30 tonight. It was for an assistant position at a major talent agency. It's 7 now and I never heard from the woman who was supposed to interview me. Finally at quarter of 7 I called the office and got a voicemail saying they were closed. I also emailed the recruiter 15 mins ago and didn't get a response.

What gives?

Is this a sign it was a bad place to work--they have no respect for people's time?

Should I follow up again or just let it go?

hmmm that's a tricky one b/c first impressions matter. However, an emergency might have happened.

If I had other job openings, I would probably forget it. But if you are in a tight spot, you might have to keep the prospect under consideration.

You mentioned a recruiter...do you have to keep appointments for the agency to represent you? I'm not sure if they still have rules about that sort of thing.

Eternal Sunshine

There was a scheduling mishap for the interview at my current job.

Turns out that HR person that was scheduling interviews quit the day before. Don't jump to conclusions.

Have you heard back from them? Sounds unprofessional, what do they expect? If they gave you a time and said they were going to call, they should have called. No excuses. If they expect an interviewee to answer the phone at the given time of a phone interview, and that person missed the call, they would move on and not be considered for the job anymore. Recruiters don't give second chances, neither should you. I think it works both ways. I could be wrong.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
Have you heard back from them? Sounds unprofessional, what do they expect? If they gave you a time and said they were going to call, they should have called. No excuses. If they expect an interviewee to answer the phone at the given time of a phone interview, and that person missed the call, they would move on and not be considered for the job anymore. Recruiters don't give second chances, neither should you. I think it works both ways. I could be wrong.

Unfortunately that's not how the world works. Demand and supply.

• Like 2

Um, do you recall the post you made about missing an interviewer's call when YOU gave them a specific time, but then didn't answer? And wondered why you never heard back?

A little harsh here, dontcha think? Not to mention hypocritical. A little give and take works both ways; who knows what happened? Like ES said, people get fired, and the chain breaks.

• Like 3
Um, do you recall the post you made about missing an interviewer's call when YOU gave them a specific time, but then didn't answer? And wondered why you never heard back?

A little harsh here, dontcha think? Not to mention hypocritical. A little give and take works both ways; who knows what happened? Like ES said, people get fired, and the chain breaks.

I'm not being a hypocrite, I learned from my mistake that I should always be attentive to answer a phone call from a recruiter at a given time.

But enough about me.

Edited by Lipitor11
I'm not being a hypocrite, I learned from my mistake that I should always be attentive to answer a phone call from a recruiter at a given time.

But enough about me.

Yep, yep. You got it. Carry on!

• Author

Okay, it was the agent's mistake. The interview is still happening, tomorrow morning. That's a relief.

• Like 4
Okay, it was the agent's mistake. The interview is still happening, tomorrow morning. That's a relief.

Best of luck to you!