I hate my new job

hoping2heal

Negative Nancy...yeah I know.

I recently got a part time job while I'm about to start my second year of bachelor's education. I don't want to get too specific and be revealing just in case but the problem with the job is that it literally piles the responsibility of three different jobs onto me - all by myself. I've spoken to others who work in the same field doing the same job and when I told them all that I'm expected to do they were pretty shocked and surprised and one even proclaimed "is that even legal?" The job is extremely physically demanding, extremely, extremely. I liked the idea of a physically active job for health reasons but..because I'm doing the job of three people, it goes from physically active to physically wiping me out.

I don't know what to do. I like the idea of a steady paycheck and the job is only part time (3 days a week). On the one hand I feel like I'm over-reacting and on the other hand, I know I've got a legitimate gripe because the work load is bonafide insane. Even another worker mentioned that there are supposed to be 1 more FT and 1 more 4 hour worker on shift with me (how it was in the "old" days).

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Because so much of my time is consumed with school, it's not so simple to find an understanding employer - especially since they know a job is just a job and not a career for me.

I worked 9 hours with a 10 minute break today. I'm dramatic but I feel like this job will suck the soul right out of me. Maybe I just needed to vent.

Dear hoping2heal

9 hours with a 10 minute break is eventually going to break you and no job is worth your health. People know when they are being exploited and if you feel like you are, you need to report this to a union rep and or get out completely. How are you going to cope with these insane hours when you have your exams? You don't want to be jeopardising your future because of a part time job. Get another job that is less taxing and one that is not liable to break you mentally and physically. Your health is the most important thing in this world so look after it because nobody else is going to.

All the best - Bud.

• Like 1
  • Author
hoping2heal

Thanks for the input bud. I forgot to mention that I was promised I would be trained in a minimum of 4 shifts before being expected to work independently and they never explained that this job (which in most settings has at least one other person working with you) would be done entirely on my own.

I showed up after having only ONE trained shift, to be told I would be left on my own because of some scheduling bla bla blue blue. So, I was left myself. I didn't know where half the crap I needed was to do my job because I was there by myself and I had 80 resident's needs relying on me. Thank Goodness I didn't f up royally - though I made mistakes no doubt.

I talked it over with some and thought it over and if a company is willing to throw me into the work without properly training me, I can only imagine what must be in store. I decided I am not returning. I don't like to make commitments and break them at all, but if they were worried about keeping me as an employee then perhaps some thought should have been given to the idea of throwing me into a job where I have no prior experience whatsoever without being fully trained in.