Stuck in job, and little options. , what can I do?

quidproquo89

Gotta say I am getting pretty tired of my place of work.

From the ground up its just so poorly run. Nobody is properly trained, they just throw people straight in and therefore they inevitably make mistakes. Store is dated, they make new rules each week that they then forget and bring another rule in the next week. Money is going missing, recently trained an 18 year old as a manager who suddenly thinks he's a hot shot.

Latest thing is trying to entirely retile, refit and make over an entire store, whilst staying open to the public.

Got there yesterday and just nearly told 'em to shove it. Was being rushed to put up shelves, and when I wasn't quick enough, I had two managers laughing at me and telling me to stop before I screw it up.

Lets put it this way two managers have left previously after suffering stress.

I don't think I'm overeacting here, when I call this place a crap hole and that I want to get out as soon as I can.

Looking around and there are hardly any jobs, bit peeved off. I guess this is just a bit of a venting session.

Has anyone else had a place of work like this? Can't seem to find anything new and I also have anxiety that is out of the frying pan and into the fire.

This place as just well and truly grinded me down and sapped my confidence.

• Author
quidproquo89

Lets start at the beginning. Throughout my school life I was bullied quite badly. It was never resolved, I just dealt with it and left school.

Well, I feel myself in workplaces feeling like if I don't put guards up that the people around me will try to antagonise and hurt me verbally.

For example, you know you get a mix bag of people coming into a shop. Well a lot of people are very rude or callous. Outside of the shop, I'd tell them where to go or strike up and argument. Or plain avoid them all together.

This goes for superiors, bosses from my experience are often nasty, pig-headed and like to delegate and watch others work, from my experience. They don't see it as a team, simply their the big boss and you are they're minions.

In the workplace I have to serve this people. Don't get me wrong I handle it. I'm a tough cookie, but it takes its toll. Doing something you are uncomfortable with a few times is one thing but to do it for years takes its toll.

I work in retail and enjoy having people around and a lively atmosphere, but at the same time I hate difficult people. Not only that I work in a really rubbish company, the staff aren't treated right and the store is badly run.

I'm afraid to start a new job. I look to find another job, but there isn't any retail jobs. I have experience in gardening, but I only like working for myself. I in a quandary here. I want to get a job where I can meet people and be in a buzzing atmosphere, low pressure. I should also be thinking of a career, but that would involve college and uni and I don't have any idea what I want to do. Besides I live in the country and everything work and study are miles and miles away. Bit of a homebody and don't feel confident moving away. Usually I can talk myself into being bold and taking the plunge but I'm a little low on confidence.

Family moved to a new area where I didn't fit in and the job market was awful so I've pretty much been sitting in a town I don't fit in with and with no much chance of change as no houses are selling atm - four years I've been stuck and I kinda don't know what to do?

Sorry bit of a monologue but I'm lost and gotta say more afraid than I like to let on.

I'd like to work in a workplace where you can have some self respect and stand up for yourself. I feel like when somebody is rude or disrespectful, you can't say something back of defend yourself - without it turning into a big thing. Example - imagine a manager is rude, he doesn't address you, just shouts commands. If I tell him this is no way to speak to somebody, suddenly I'm creating a rift, and making things awkward, creating a scene. When I didn't start it I'm just protecting my dignity, self respect

Edited by quidproquo89

Sorry to hear this OP. It sucks that the retail environment can be like this. I've had a similar childhood and it took many years to overcome, but it can be done. Start looking into improving your skill set. I've found professional office environments are much better and much less drama. You get all kinds of classes of people in retail. Try and get out of that place asap if you can.

LuckyLady13

Hi Quid! What struck me right away in the very first part of your post was you have some kind of a problem dealing with people. Then I read the rest of what you said and I understood why. But, I don't think you realize at this moment because you sound stressed and overwhelmed that you are taking things much harder from people than you need to. You could really use an environment (like somewhere to volunteer) where you can learn from other people how to have a thicker skin so this kind of stuff doesn't bother you.

Bosses run things. That is what they do. Delegate tasks, give out orders and get things moving. You and your fellow coworkers are not minions, you are employees who get paid to carry out tasks and get things done. Your boss is the football coach and you are one of the players on the field. But try to understand the coach isn't there to make you happy or boost your self-respect. Your boss is there to work and get a job done and that's why you're there too.

I'm not sure if being bullied is why your attitude is so negative toward things but it would help you greatly to put yourself around people in your spare time who are positive, upbeat and find handling difficult situations easy.

If you don't have self-respect at this job, you won't have self-respect at any job because that comes from within - not from the outside!

You said there's an 18 year old (now manager) who thinks he's a hot shot. And? He's 18. He also thinks he's untouchable and invincible too but that's part of being 18. This should be easy to tolerate but since it isn't for you, this is why I strongly suggest putting yourself around people who find situations like this simple so that you can learn that it really is that simple and be happy with your life. Inside your job and out!

Zippity-Doo-Dah

Great advice from Lucky Lady. I have recently returned to working retail after a twenty year absence and have found some shocking differences in 'worker attitude.' Back in the day - people who worked retail were in the service industry. We asked "How can I help you?" and it was a genuine desire to help, not just something our boss told us to say. Not so much anymore. Now it seems like the workers are asking themselves, "what do I have to do to get a commission off of this jerk in my store?" People don't seem to take pride in their work anymore. People do as little as they can. Employers treat their workers like minions (good word, by the way). Now I am not speaking universally, of course. There are plenty of people who are not like this. All I am saying is I see a trend that is just sad. I was kinda hurt and upset by all of this at first. But - I have learned that I am different now, too. 20 years ago, I would have taken it very personally and it would have hurt my feelings. Now I see it like this. If I give good customer service - people are nice to me and I find myself being asked for by customers. They know I'll be helpful. It makes the other guys look bad. I don't have to say a word to the other employees - I just do my job and go home feeling great about my day. I do have some nice people in my store and I choose to hang out with them when there is a lull. I'm not there to make friends and be liked - I am there to help people and I have learned that helping people not only makes me feel good - it makes me stand out against the other guys. OP - look for a job in a different neighborhood/area. Sometimes this makes all the difference. Also try to find a locally owned place instead of a chain - and the older the other employees the better. And don't just ask if they are hiring - make friends with them and let them know that you seek an environment where good attitude and hard work is appreciated. Good luck!

Zip

• Like 1