Not sure how to handle this

My department coworkers and I are very different - I am an introvert, and they are extroverts. I have taken on extra responsibility at work they chose not to take, and it has been stressful. In times of stress, I go into myself and like to be with my thoughts. I am also very busy, and do not have time for idle chitchat. They also approach me to talk about things when I am in the middle of something and it is not a good time, or I haven't had time to even look at something yet. I travel frequently too, so time in the office to get things done is very precious to me. As a result, they have gone to our manager to talk about a lack of 'communication', and I have now been reprimanded, even though my job demands are greater and my travel makes it difficult to work with them in the first place. This is the second time they have done this, while they have sat back and done no work while I take on additional responsibilities to cover their lazy butts. I am frustrated and fed up with them because I feel this is ridiculous - as the person working the hardest to keep our department afloat, I cannot believe they are running to our boss and that he is more willing to side with them than show consideration for the amount of pressure and extra work I was asked to do by another supervisor in a different division. Suggestions? Cant stand my colleagues and am furious with them, but my boss expects me to suck it up and be fake nice to them.

wow kfc nailed it!!

I learned to respect my "team", and in the process they have picked up the pace. Its when I rubbed them the wrong way ( intentionally or not) that they perceived a discord.

One thing that I had to be reminded of when I took on new tasks is....to stop thinking that it couldn't be done without me. I am NOT that important to the job or the tasks....It takes various departments directly or indirectly.

The thing I was alerted on was how the OP said that they "didnt have time to be bothered"....Trust me...be bothered...learn about the co workers and together you can find each others strengths on projects. But the isolating is not healthy....People can be replaced but shunned attitudes take awhile to get over....

My department coworkers and I are very different - I am an introvert, and they are extroverts. I have taken on extra responsibility at work they chose not to take, and it has been stressful. In times of stress, I go into myself and like to be with my thoughts. I am also very busy, and do not have time for idle chitchat. They also approach me to talk about things when I am in the middle of something and it is not a good time, or I haven't had time to even look at something yet. I travel frequently too, so time in the office to get things done is very precious to me. As a result, they have gone to our manager to talk about a lack of 'communication', and I have now been reprimanded, even though my job demands are greater and my travel makes it difficult to work with them in the first place. This is the second time they have done this, while they have sat back and done no work while I take on additional responsibilities to cover their lazy butts. I am frustrated and fed up with them because I feel this is ridiculous - as the person working the hardest to keep our department afloat, I cannot believe they are running to our boss and that he is more willing to side with them than show consideration for the amount of pressure and extra work I was asked to do by another supervisor in a different division. Suggestions? Cant stand my colleagues and am furious with them, but my boss expects me to suck it up and be fake nice to them.

They play the game and know how to say the right things to the boss. You are quiet and a hard worker, keeping to yourself. Lack of communication about work related issues, or lack of communication as in personal chit chat?

Go talk to your boss and tell him/her what you said here (bolded part). Maybe it's time to stop being such a work horse and taking on everything. Or if things get worse, time to start looking for another job. co workers that tattle like that and have bosses on their side can make your life harder at work.

Hello colombia1,

First of all I admire your work ethic but it seems it is wasted on your co-workers.

IMO you need to stop covering their butts and let them experience the consequences of their laziness.

If you are taking on work that has been allocated by another supervisor in a different division, does your boss know?

I would suggest you keep a diary and detail all the projects you are involved with and hours spent on different activities. Then you have some facts to show your boss if challenged.

You have mentioned being repremanded for "lack of communication" which is a rather nebulous statement. I would ask what, specifically, is meant by this and what it is you should be communicating about? Ask the boss how they feel you could improve "communication" and what outcomes they are looking for. That should make them justify their comments and give you a clearer idea of what is required of you.

Also I would have a good look at your job description and see what you are actually contracted to do.

HTH