What's her deal?

So I know this is not a "work" issue per se but I figured this section would be the most appropriate one for such issue.

I am a college student who recently was required to complete a homework assignment together with another student. We were assigned this presentation to complete by next Monday. The person I am supposed to work with is a girl in my class but we do not know each other at all.

At the end of the first class, she told me she didn't have time to exchange her details (i.e. phone/email) but she'll be able to the following week. The following Monday she gave me her email address and left. I sent her an email asking her if we could meet up to work on this assignment. She never responded to my email.

Today, we saw each other in class and she blatantly ignored me. She was the first one out the door when the class was over.

It's like I am trying to communicate with a wall. The presentation is due next week, we have a case to choose and comment on, and this girl can't be bothered to have a 1 minute conversation with me. I don't understand what's her deal. We don't even know each other.

[A bit of background info: I am in this "elite" college where 85% of the students come from upper middle class/rich background. All of the students in my class are white except me. I'm not sure if this is the reason, but something sounds fishy. I have a feeling it's linked to one of these two things. I've never had someone acting like this towards me before.]

How am I supposed to deal with the situation? I can't afford to fail this class.

Edited by ShiningMoon

I've had this issue many times and I've honestly never cared for group projects, because I either got someone who didn't do any work or someone who didn't let me do anything. Just go to your professor or whoever is handling the class and explain the situation. You will likely be assigned a new partner or an alternative individual assignment. ;)

• Like 2
Just go to your professor or whoever is handling the class and explain the situation.

Yeah, I would do this. Actually, I'd email her a second time asking to arrange a time to work on the assignment. That way, you can provide physical proof of you asking her at least twice to work with you. Also, start working on your half of the assignment so you have something to show when you take this to your professor.

• Like 1

Yeah this happens all the time...

Send her another email, print both of them out, do some work on your presentation and then go talk to the professor BEFORE it is due. Explain that you tried to reach out to her but she won't answer, so you've started the work yourself but that you will need additional time if you are to complete it alone.

Just don't bring up racial/class issues, please. You have no proof and it'll make you look like you're just another minority walking around with a chip on your shoulder. It'll make the professor less likely to trust your word and good will.

You'll be fine. :)

• Like 2
  • Author

Oh, no I was no going to bring the racial/social issue up to the professor. Not at all. I'm mature enough not to care about that but I just wanted to understand why she was ignoring me, that's all.

I mean, we're in college not high school, stuff like that should never be discussed with anybody. Besides, it could be many other things so of course, I won't mention this hypothetical reason.

Hard to tell. Girls are the most mysterious creature! I guess she does not like her partner to work with. I don't think anything related to have a like feeling that made her shy. However some girls go hibernation if they like someone. Follow if she ever stare at you and takes away her eyes when you notice her.

• Author
Hard to tell. Girls are the most mysterious creature! I guess she does not like her partner to work with. I don't think anything related to have a like feeling that made her shy. However some girls go hibernation if they like someone. Follow if she ever stare at you and takes away her eyes when you notice her.

I'm a girl. I don't care if she does not like me, it's about being professional and work on a project regardless of any animosity. It's about passing an exam. I can't believe some people are so stupid that they'd be willing to jeopardize someone else's work.

I sent her another email and she hasn't responded (I'm not very surprised).

I did not want to work with her in the first place but I could not say "no" to the professor when she decided to make us work as a team.

Edited by ShiningMoon
I'm a girl. I don't care if she does not like me, it's about being professional and work on a project regardless of any animosity. It's about passing an exam. I can't believe some people are so stupid that they'd be willing to jeopardize someone else's work.

I sent her another email and she hasn't responded (I'm not very surprised).

I did not want to work with her in the first place but I could not say "no" to the professor when she decided to make us work as a team.

I will also second that you should contact the instructor as soon as you can, not the last minute. I made a mistake in high school when I was in a project with people who didn't let me do any of the assignment and I ended the class with a D, because the project was 50% of the course grade. (They told the instructor I didn't do any work despite the fact they monopolized the project) I had to do an alternative project over the summer to boost my grade to a B...I was close to spending 4-6 weeks in summer school, because I did not go to the instructor when I should have about the group issue.

Edited by pink_sugar

I'm a professor. And I can tell you that a) I would want to know about this situation as soon as possible, because b) it's really hard to fix something like this once the deadline is imminent.

Your partner is flaky. That's rotten, but you should contact the professor before this partner tanks both your grades. Maybe the prof can find an amicable solution... if they assign group work, they have surely dealt with this situation before.