Cover letter if the interview is scheduled?

I'm starting to feel mixed on this and hope that some hiring managers weigh in.

This is a different job than the one I previously posted about. I'm actually surprised they called me. After I applied, I received a brief email stating that they received my resume and forwarded it to the proper people and if they are interested they will be in touch.

I thought about replying to the email in a "cover letter fashion" but opted not to, mainly because I'm very much taking the position if it's meant to be...Because quite honestly, I'm a bit under qualified for it. It's a strong leadership position. I have management experience in my previous career. I have experience leading a team though not in a "formal" way. I'm able to recognize what doesn't work and how to fix the problem.

So I thought I would write the letter identifying with their mission statement of which they have several goals. I can correlate experience that I have that is in line with one of their goals. I was going to express that I share all goals but focus on the one as an example.

Then I'm reading advice that the cover letter is to secure the interview, so no need to have one because they will need to read it on the interview and that would be awkward. I will write a thank you after, but since I will be selling myself in person is there a need to leave a reminder?

• Author
Nothing to do but apply to other jobs and just wait and see if you are called for a interview. Interviews are not scheduled because of a cover letter only the resume so if they don't call back then you know that your background is not what they are looking for or the job was never open to begin with

Sorry, but I thought it was clear with the title and the last paragraph that they did call for the interview. They emailed first and about a week later followed up with the phone call.

I was actually impressed with the email because in my field it's a little uncommon to have that courtesy. I should have responded to the email. The fact I didn't and they still called me, seems like I do have a fair shot at the job. I just don't know if a cover letter is smart at this juncture. Thoughts?

• Author

Thanks!

That seems to be the consensus, that the cover letter is to "get" the interview and I've got that. I just didn't want to come off as if I don't have the proper social/professional graces. I know the normal etiquette in job hunting, I just didn't really think anything would come of this. Now I'm second guessing because this is a teaching/leading role and I would think presentation would be everything and the cover letter would be evidence for them.

But even now after I put together a letter, it seems disingenuous to present that upon the meeting. Sort of like I would be trying to hard, when the fact is still I don't know if this is going to be a good fit for me.

Nothing to do but apply to other jobs and just wait and see if you are called for a interview. Interviews are not scheduled because of a cover letter only the resume so if they don't call back then you know that your background is not what they are looking for or the job was never open to begin with

Wow. I'm frankly astounded at the advice you give on the career section because the majority of your posts are so ill informed and unhelpful for someone applying to jobs.

First of all cover letter are a MUST. Not a "maybe" not an "only if they ask for it," A MUST. When you submit a resume you better be submitting the cover letter right along with it.

Believe it or not, it's actually the cover letter which sells you and is what more often than not catches the hiring manager's eye, and what makes them pull your resume to begin with.

Hundreds of people apply to a single job every single day. Hiring managers don't have time to sit there and read EVERY. SINGLE. RESUME. It's too time consuming, so what they usually do is skim cover letters. The best cover letters are the one's that grab a person's eye, summarize your skills and why you would be a perfect fit for the job, what you would bring to the company, and essentially MAKE the hiring manager call you.

I have applied to tons of jobs where they had a little note that said, "Applications submitted without cover letters will not be accepted."

They are EXTREMELY important. And they are usually what can make or break you getting a job interview.

5 Ways Your Cover Letter Lost You The Job - Forbes

From this point forward, always make sure to submit a cover with your resume. Tailor it to each job you apply to, make it personal, make yourself stand out. There are tons of tips online that you can Google.

However, since they already called for the interview, NO you do not need to submit a cover letter. A cover letter is the first thing you do when applying, not when you already have the interview. What I usually do when I show up to the interview, is have a freshly printed resume to hand them, along with copies of my letter of recommendation. Then they can have hard copies on hand when I show up.

Edited by KatZee
  • Like 2

It sounds like the OP is asking whether or not to bring the cover letter to the interview, not when applying to the job itself. I always submit a short and sweet cover letter that gets the point across. It doesn't need to be an essay, but should tell the person reading it about your career objectives. When it comes to the interview itself though....they already know this assuming you submitted it with your resume. But a resume on hand is a must, although most employers usually have their own copy while interviewing you.

I don't think a cover letter is needed for Careerbuilder or Monster jobs

A cover letter can make all the difference especially via Monster etc. I know from experience that an employer can get inundated with applications through Monster and the majority seem to be applying for any job rather than giving any thought to it. Apart from the resume being tailored to the specific job you are applying for, the cover letter can help you stand out and show that you have given it some thought.

I don't think a cover letter is needed for Careerbuilder or Monster jobs

Both my SO and I have sent in letters for every single job application on Monster when we had the option to send one.

If you're applying for professional jobs, there's absolutely NO excuse to be lazy. Why would it be any different just because you found the posting on Monster?

Wow. I'm frankly astounded at the advice you give on the career section because the majority of your posts are so ill informed and unhelpful for someone applying to jobs.

First of all cover letter are a MUST. Not a "maybe" not an "only if they ask for it," A MUST. When you submit a resume you better be submitting the cover letter right along with it.

Believe it or not, it's actually the cover letter which sells you and is what more often than not catches the hiring manager's eye, and what makes them pull your resume to begin with.

Hundreds of people apply to a single job every single day. Hiring managers don't have time to sit there and read EVERY. SINGLE. RESUME. It's too time consuming, so what they usually do is skim cover letters. The best cover letters are the one's that grab a person's eye, summarize your skills and why you would be a perfect fit for the job, what you would bring to the company, and essentially MAKE the hiring manager call you.

I have applied to tons of jobs where they had a little note that said, "Applications submitted without cover letters will not be accepted."

They are EXTREMELY important. And they are usually what can make or break you getting a job interview.

5 Ways Your Cover Letter Lost You The Job - Forbes

From this point forward, always make sure to submit a cover with your resume. Tailor it to each job you apply to, make it personal, make yourself stand out. There are tons of tips online that you can Google.

However, since they already called for the interview, NO you do not need to submit a cover letter. A cover letter is the first thing you do when applying, not when you already have the interview. What I usually do when I show up to the interview, is have a freshly printed resume to hand them, along with copies of my letter of recommendation. Then they can have hard copies on hand when I show up.

I actually this is really going to vary by industry and company. We hire a large number of individuals and cover letters are nice but are not a must for us. It is about the resume and what they have done that would be equivalent for our position.

OP - I agree that if one is going to do one, you mention some great points, but it really is going to vary on importance. I do agree, if you do one have it specific to the position and the company so it doesn't look cookie cutter. Good luck with the interview!

Yes, the cover letter is usually optional, but if there is a section asking for it, I always attach it anyways. Only in few cases where it doesn't ask for one that I don't bother, but I always include it when I am emailing resumes.

• Author
I actually this is really going to vary by industry and company. We hire a large number of individuals and cover letters are nice but are not a must for us. It is about the resume and what they have done that would be equivalent for our position.

OP - I agree that if one is going to do one, you mention some great points, but it really is going to vary on importance. I do agree, if you do one have it specific to the position and the company so it doesn't look cookie cutter. Good luck with the interview!

Thank you! This is very true. In fact one of the mega systems in my area, you can't even attach a cover letter. You have to copy and paste (seriously, in this day and age?!:confused:) which I think is nuts. When I talked to a recruiter, they told me that they are not necessary and I was a little surprised but there you go! Fortunately this is not with said company.

Everything I was going to write I can discuss so I guess it's all good. It just figures, I have gone over and above sometimes for an application at times by tracking down names etc...and this one that I'm "eh..." about is the one that calls. As much as I want out of my present job though, I'm not about to go from frying pan to fire.

I do agree though, I think a cover letter should be done if you really care about the position, but I guess that begs the question why apply to something that you're not sure you want?:laugh: I guess that's what I figure the interview is for. To see if it's something that I do want.

• Like 1

Bring anything you feel they might need. I always bring a copy of my resume for an interview. They may already have a cover letter from you, but it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of what you've sent. It doesn't hurt to be over prepared. Bring your references as well.

When they interview you, they will probably bring a copy of what you've already sent them- but it simply doesn't hurt to have it handy. Bring a copy of your resume and a cover letter in a folder along with your references.

It's optional just like the thank you letter. I have gotten calls for interviews when i did not send a cover letter on Careerbuilder and was not called back after sending a thank you letter.

On the flipside, I sent a cover letter with Monster and never received a reply and didn't send a thank you letter and was called back for a 2nd interview.

There is no right answer when job searching, do whatever you feel will work

Hence why I said "can make all the difference" and not "does make all the difference". Whether sending a cover letter or not, you (general you) need to ensure that employers think you genuinely want their job and are not randomly applying for every job you are vaguely qualified for. You need to adjust your resume for each job depending on what the employer will want and need to see.

• Like 1