Need Advancement, But Have Concerns....

Hi everyone,

I just got my current job in February of this year. It's admin support, just like my last job and the job before that. Altogether I've got about 7 years of administrative experience.

When I took this job, I was unemployed and so happy to be offered work where the wage would cover my living expenses that I didn't think about professional growth at all really. My boss said that there would be lots of opportunity for growth....

I assist in the sales department but have no interest in being in sales or managing sales. I want to get into general office management or HR. All the admin/office staff at the branch where I work have been in their positions for many years, as well as with the company (talking 10+ average). No one's near retirement age and the company's doing well (no layoffs, workforce reduction, or restructuring on the horizon). All this means, to me, that the opportunity of me getting a manager position or even a promotion is slim to none, because we've already got an office coordinator and an office manager which either of would be the next logical step for me.

I feel scattered, I don't know how to approach my boss about this. I feel ready for a supervisor or manager position, and for my degree and work experience in this area, I should be making at least 10 -15K more than what I do now. I told her when I started that I need opportunity for advancement in order to be happy staying at a company. She said there would be opportunity, and maybe there will be, but I really don't know if I will be comfortable waiting any more for those opportunities to come around.

When I realized there wasn't much opportunity at the branch of the company I work at (this was 2 or 3 months ago), I figured I could go for opportunities at other branches of the same company. I really like the company and I want to stay. Well, there were two manager positions at nearby branches that were just filled within a week of each other. I hadn't even heard about them. I get that politics come into play, and the people who got those positions have both been with the company much longer than I and know more people....I get that. But I can't wait 2 or 3 years in this position for opportunities like these to come around again in this company, if they come around at all. I don't make enough money or have enough professional development opportunity in this current position to make that wait worthwhile.

So my next consideration was that I just leave the company, get a manager position somewhere else and keep an eye on this company for a manager position while employed elsewhere. But then I thought, I haven't even been here a year.....the longest I've been at any job was under 5 years......I already seem like a job hopper on paper. I worry that my current supervisor will note me as changeable or untrustworthy, something that would make it difficult for me to get back into the company if I leave and reapply later.

My 3rd quarter review is coming up, and I was thinking of asking for a promotion in title and pay....but I don't see that my boss has the power to get me what I need to be happy professionally right now. And even if she did, my advancement would leave her bereft of an administrative coordinator for her department....and I don't know how keen she is on that. I'm not irreplaceable, but she always comments on how lucky it is she got me, I'm such a great worker, perfect fit for her team, etc. etc. These kind of comments make me doubt that she would make my interests a priority.

I would really appreciate perspective from managers, recruiters, HR personnel......how would leaving this company after only working here about a year look to a potential employer? (I was laid off from my last position before this one, and had been in that position a little over 2 years). Should I risk leaving a poor impression with this employer for short term advancement, or try and stick it out a little longer to see if something changes? How likely, in your experience, do you think it is that something will change, with my work environment being what it is? I'm really having trouble seeing any short term opportunity for me with this company, and I'm not saying I will never wait for opportunity.....but I really need to be farther along professionally and financially right now.

Sorry if this came off disorganized, I've been ruminating over this a lot the last couple of months. Any perspectives would be appreciated.

Edited by Almond_Joy

I've been working at my company slightly over 2 years with no raise, no benefits, noda. When I was hired, I was told that we'd receive bonuses and raises...none of that ever happened and not going to happen anytime soon. With living wages increasing, most employers pay more for my experience level. That aside, my company also has no room for advancement due to size. It is reality that many people do not stay long term with one company if they cannot be adequately compensated for their skill level. I would start looking around for other opportunities, while also asking if a promotion is likely in the near future at your next review. Be sure to present your skill set and experience that will show you are worthy of such promotion and raise. Other potential employers will likely understand your situation if your reasoning for leaving the company is for growth opportunities.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author

Thank you, pink.

My boss seems level headed and professional enough to not take my leaving personally, and I really like my boss a lot. I just notice that things that don't align with her goals just don't get a lot of consideration, and that kind of carelessness with my reputation if I leave could cost me a chance to come back to this company, even if I'm applying for a department. completely separate from sales.

I'm really worried about seeming flighty. I'm a very loyal and dedicated worker and I would stay a long time with a company I like...but I've just become very unhappy with the level of responsibility I'm allocated. I'm ready for more and I can't get it here. It's frustrating, but I don't want to damage my relationship with a good employer because I'm frustrated.

I'd really appreciate additional perspectives, also....