While I am on the topic of gossip I work with four older women that are really causing trouble for me lately. In a period of time that I most need to negotiate with my boss so that he gives me the hours I need to go to school, these ladies have gotten jealous, angry and bitter, and have been complaining to my boss or anyone with an ear about what I do or how I act, eventhough I am very conscienscious about my behavior . These ladies talk, talk, talk up a storm and especially lately. No one respects them but that doesn't mean their antics have been without harm in the form of brainwashing influential people. I see it happen right before my eyes. Never in my 11 or so years of working have things gotten so ugly than as the bs caused by these jealous angry old women that aren't going anywhere anyway. In my last position I was promoted before several people that had been there a good deal longer and although these people really showed little motivation, desire or care to move up, they were still a bit annoyed and felt snubbed. But that is no where near what the people I am working with feel right now and I am not even competing with them. I don't even do the same job.

I did however become the senior person at my position and I know that irks them. They see it as somewhat of a loss of power as they were in good with the girl that is leaving. Now that she is leaving and that my boss mostly keeps to himself and doesn't deal with anyone much for his own peace of mind (I can't blame him) they see me as having taking control of the whole department. I don't exactly see it that way, but I am tired of people acting like they do. I guess its the price to be the boss, I mean I am not the boss, but if people see it like that then I am in a sense. Being the boss is not easy I see. People put heavily unrealistic demands on the boss. Everything anyone every told me about "If I had a choice I would do it all over again and find myself a good position where I didn't have to be the boss" or "its not the boss who is the boss but the people he is the boss of who are the boss" is turning out to be true. All I can say to you all is don't take responsibility if you are not ready for it, it will ruin you. In any case, I guess I just have to deal with the fact that when a person is on top there is going to plenty of hate and jealousy thrown his/her way. That is what these rappers out there are always complaining about in their songs (i.e. "Hate Me Now" by Nas, "My Band" by D12, "(You got) Hate in your Blood" by Mack 10 (I believe its by him)...etc..).

As Jayz says, "I guess it is just the penalty of leadership, I guess I am just what people (<in place of expletive) want to be and ****" from "99 Problems". People hate others because they are not in charge. Its understandable, but usually there is a reason why people are not in charge. In any case, I just know that I can't get bent out shape because there are tons of people that would like to tear me down or to have me lose my cool.

Capitald: Is this a rant or did you want an answer/comment?

I too am a boss at work. No doubt it sucks sometimes! You're right, if I could go back, I don't think that I would've gone for the promotion. Too much extra work for not enough pay and now I have to make sure that everyone actually does their job. Um, this is practically impossible, no? You can say and tell and say and tell some more, but if someone doesn't want to do things right, they won't. Maybe it's just that they can't, I don't know.

Anyway, just try to not listen to the work gossip. I just completely take myself out of this loop whenever possible. If it gets to the point where you feel like you need to address it with your boss because this is impossible to ignore, do so.