New boss is a condescending jerk.

I have a new temporary boss who's currently in an "acting" boss role, as my office is rotating in "acting" supervisors as part of the interview process to replace my previous beloved boss who recently retired. Those in this acting role are my peers, but aren't necessarily within my unit. I will also be one of the folks rotating in, although I'm not terribly interested in the position, because my peers have begged me to do so to lessen the chances of the jerk ultimately getting the job.

This guy isn't familiar with the work my unit he does (he's a career DA (criminal) and my unit handles complex civil litigation), hasn't made an effort to truly understand my cases or work load, and is condescending beyond all get out. Very recently, he began insulting and second-guessing decisions I made nearly two years ago, and undermining my work and my reputation amongst my peers.

I'm not alone here, he is doing it to everyone. He's making support staff cry, and all the other attorneys freak out about the prospect of having him as a boss. He's BFFs with the guy above him in the chain of command who will ultimately appoint my old boss' replacement...so it's a very real likelihood.

I've documented the above in an email to him and asked to meet with him. I'd appreciate any pointers y'all have for handling such a situation.

GorillaTheater

It's tough, and I don't know that I have any advice other than suffering through it and being grateful that it (hopefully) is only a temporary situation. I'm posting mainly to let you know that I feel your pain. I worked in a DA's office for 5 years, which was somewhat unusual in Texas in that it also handled the civil docket for the county (no county attorney in this case). I worked on the civil side, and caught alot of sh*t from the criminal side (which was much larger) because I didn't spend as much time in the courtroom.

The advantage I had was that I was better connected than they were, being also the legal liaison advisor to the county commisioners and other county officials.

Maybe you should try for the job, if for no other reason than to keep this from being a permanent situation. I'd rather practice law than manage people myself, so maybe I understand your hesitation to take on that role.

• Author

You understand my hesitation, GT. I am still a young attorney, having practiced for only 10 years so far. While I'd still have a small caseload, the majority of my work would be overseeing other attorneys and support staff. I'm not quite ready to pull myself out of the trenches yet. I like keeping my hands dirty.

I understand that he's new to our unit and there's going to be a learning curve. I also feel badly for anyone in this spot because they've got really big shoes to fill. But my problem with him is more so with his personality and management style. He's accusatory and condescending.

The last conversation we had in person, he was telling me that he thinks I'm being very guarded and secretive when he asks questions about my cases, and that all he's trying to do is get an understanding of my caseload and what's going on with them.

However, rather than just have an open dialogue that starts with something like, "Hey Star, tell me about your caseload. How many do you have? Could you take on more? What cases are hot right now? What are the subject matter/facts of each? What, if anything, do you need assistance with?" ... He asks things in a snarky tone, like, "Why didn't you do XYZ in 2011 on this case? Isn't that the better approach?" or makes comments like, "Oh, I see. You're 'too busy' to do the real work on this case" (after explaining to him how I've appropriately prioritized) or "I talked to the experts in [other unit] who actually know how to handle these cases, and they say _____."

He makes me so angry.

I've documented the above in an email to him and asked to meet with him. I'd appreciate any pointers y'all have for handling such a situation.

Wouldn't it make sense to take a more low-key approach until the supervisor's situation is settled? Lot's of potential downside to what you're doing and the problem may be resolved on its own. As just one of the people in the unit, why are you the point person for this :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

Inevitably, arrogant people make mistakes. Document, document, document. Success is where preparation and opportunity meet. When the right opportunity presents itself, he'll be toast. It doesn't necessarily have to be work-related, if you know what I mean. Business is war. Take no prisoners.

The man in question is not going to change. He's gotten to where he is by being who he is. What remains is if and how where he is will remain or change.

IMO, use meetings like the upcoming one for fact-finding. Gather information. Cooperate. More information is good information. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Author
Wouldn't it make sense to take a more low-key approach until the supervisor's situation is settled? Lot's of potential downside to what you're doing and the problem may be resolved on its own. As just one of the people in the unit, why are you the point person for this :confused: ???

Mr. Lucky

When there are pending deadlines and active litigation is ongoing and he's impeding my efforts to meet said deadlines or litigate effectively... No, it can't be low-key nor can it wait.

I'm also not a point person. I'm speaking to him re: myself, my workload, my cases.

Edited by Star Gazer
TheBigQuestion

You've been in the game long enough (and I'm guessing at your current position long enough) to know what you should and should not do to obtain desirable dispositions of your cases. I'm sure you also know how to handle these sorts of confrontations. Despite still being a student (not for long though) and less than a year of law firm and agency experience, I've already encountered a handful of blowhards like this possible new boss of yours, and generally speaking, I'll echo the sentiments of another poster and say that the lawyers who bark the loudest usually have the softest bite. It won't take too long for him to be caught in some sort of incompetent and/or shady act.

I'm guessing you work for a state AG or other agency. As a last resort, how are they with granting transfers to other sections or locations? In my state, after a few years of working you can transfer to a different area (i.e. go from Securities Fraud to Employment, or wherever) and you can usually get it once someone leaves.

• Like 1
  • Author
Many criminal attorneys know very little to nothing about civil litigation.

Absolutely true. Add on the fact that it's complex civil litigation, and his knowledge base is even more shallow.

• Author
You've been in the game long enough (and I'm guessing at your current position long enough) to know what you should and should not do to obtain desirable dispositions of your cases. I'm sure you also know how to handle these sorts of confrontations. Despite still being a student (not for long though) and less than a year of law firm and agency experience, I've already encountered a handful of blowhards like this possible new boss of yours, and generally speaking, I'll echo the sentiments of another poster and say that the lawyers who bark the loudest usually have the softest bite. It won't take too long for him to be caught in some sort of incompetent and/or shady act.

I'm guessing you work for a state AG or other agency. As a last resort, how are they with granting transfers to other sections or locations? In my state, after a few years of working you can transfer to a different area (i.e. go from Securities Fraud to Employment, or wherever) and you can usually get it once someone leaves.

Yup. I absolutely know how to effectively handle my cases to some sort of desireable resolution (settlement, verdict), and I've done so with very little oversight. My old boss, and those higher up, trust me. This guy doesn't.

However, what I really don't have experience with is this sort of situation, where my ignorant peer instantly becomes my pseudo-boss for a temporary period with threat of it becoming permanent. It sucks.

But yes, I'm not completely stuck if I become miserable. However, I'd have to change subject matters, which isn't something I want to do. This is fulfilling work, and the most intellectually challenging I've ever handled.

I have a feeling he's digging his own grave. I know of a couple lateral folk who have already made formal complaints against him.

GorillaTheater
I know of a couple lateral folk who have already made formal complaints against him.

And odds are there are more that you don't know about. That would seem to be enough to nuke his chances at this position.

File your own formal complaint, then go after him for retaliation if he gives you any more crap. You know how this works. :)

• Like 2
Feelin Frisky

You did good in approaching him. (I didn't read the whole tread to see if you had followed up) but that is a good and confident way to try to head off ill will. But of course the legal profession draws a lot of arrogant jack asses. I suggest you give the impression your first and foremost a asset the company can't do without and that your loss would be a major blow to them. Imply that you'll walk and use reverse psychology. If he sees weakness he may make up his mind that he can belittle you. And you'll take it. It's much more of a feather in your cap to win a test of power and wills than run like a little girl (not that I think you would ever be the type to do that).

• Like 1
january2011

I don't know how easy it would be to move in your specific line of work, but as a plan b, I'd start making some discreet enquiries to see if there is a role somewhere else with more favourable conditions.

Wow, i hope you post when you manage to get rid of this jerk, this thread has been very interesting.

One of my teachers is like this.

He also has the same accusatorial background [prosecutor, penal].

Not a fun person to talk to.

I only met him half a dozen times so far, but i try not to say anything negative and try to give him as little ammo as possible.

First time i met him, he called me a ****wit with no experience when i tried to understand a PC problem he was having.

A very bitter individual, unliked by everyone and it shows in his teaching method.

Unless you wear a skirt off-course, in which case he becomes all nice.

I think I'm going to be the voice of dissension here.

I have been working for a woman for almost eight years that most people can't stand. I've had people come to me, crying, because she can be so unbearable sometimes. People have openly quit because of her. I'm a highly trained, highly educated professional, and I guarantee you my boss cannot do my job. Of course, she thinks she knows everything. She can be utterly condescending and seems to lack a sense of humor a lot of the time.

Things between us were very strained, because I knew it wasn't "right." I would stand up for myself, and...nothing would change. Things continued to get more strained. Finally, last year, after I had documented everything, I went to HR and had a talk with an HR rep and my manager, listing all of the things that didn't seem right.

My boss is also very well-connected, and she's been here for over 25 years. She's not going anywhere, and HR knows this. I got little to no assistance.

Finally, one night I had an epiphany. My boss was never going to change. Nothing I could say or do would get her to change or stop being a bitch, since she wasn't doing anything illegal or measurably harmful. All I can control is how I react to what she does.

The next day I went into her office, apologized (you have no idea how hard that was, when I felt like I had been wronged) for my attitude and the disagreements, and promised her I would be nothing but positive about whatever she wanted from me, going forward. I kept inside the bit, "...even though I often disagree with you." I forced myself to be positive.

I started doing it every single moment. At first she didn't seem to relent. I kept smiling, taking it, staying positive and upbeat, the whole nine yards. She would say things that would make me have to physically restrain myself from facepalming over.

It eventually started to pay off. She began to be more positive back to me, while still being a jerk to others, and I was pretty much, "Yes, boss-lady, I totally agree with you. That's a good point!"

Then, if I knew that what she was saying was honestly wrong, I would just do what I knew was correct. :laugh: I think she just likes to lecture and be agreed with, but then doesn't pay enough attention to the details to know what really happened. Or I'll make it look like I did what she asked, even if I had to tweak it a bit so it actually worked out well.

I've learned that being happy is far better than being "right." And despite having a lot more responsibility now than I did before, my attitude has only gotten more positive. Earlier this week I wanted to slap her head off her shoulders, but I only smiled and agreed with whatever she was going on about.

People still come crying to me, but all I can do is tell them I'm sorry they're hurting, but that things will get better.

You should keep all emails where he's being threatening, abusive and where he shows his lack of knowledge, interest and bad will. As long as you're not his favorite victim, I don't see why you should think about transfer.

However, if he is making personal attacks and going after you, that is a different story.

Here is what I think you should do:

A. PROTECT

- protect yourself as best as possible - don't give him any ammo

B. SECURE:

- secure your position as best as possible.

Understand what it is that this man wants versus what he is: is it a personality issue? If that's the case, no complaints or emails or confrontations will ever change that, because this is who he is. Or is he this way because he wants to get something - he may act like a jerk to intimidate you and your team, and thus get implicit leadership (even if based on fear)

Based on your analysis, you should secure your position, in the sense of understanding if he is jeopardizing your work.If that is the case, understand exactly what he does that is preventing you from performing - is he wasting your time or is he not giving you the authority to make decision or is he not able to make the proper decision, thus affecting your job? The best way of securing your position is to understand how what he does is affecting you and your job

C. Confront

Everyone has a pattern. You need to understand his pattern, document facts, have proves and then prepare your confrontation. You need to be very calm and very professional and talk to him, in order to make things work. Set up the meeting in the system, send him the agenda of the subject you wish to discuss and see how he takes it.

IMO, he may or may not react well to that. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you think that this is it. Because he is in a interim position, if you have proof of no results after your meeting / direct confrontation with him and things get heated (or unbearable), you should flag the situation to his boss, as well.

It's just that you need to be extremely structured and extremely clear with what's wrong: is it his attitude - in which case you need to adjust the one-to-one communication, or is it his performance and knowledge? No one likes a jerk, but you need to face him and need to find a proper way of handling this situation - and I am not referring to taking sh*t from him.