Ending Things in the Constant Face of Temptation

I fell hard for a work colleague who is emotionally unavailable. We have been sleeping together for about a year and I have finally decided that I cannot handle things anymore. I have basically just spent an entire weekend waiting by the phone for his promised call, and of course it never came. Although I have never loved anyone even close to how I loved him, it will never be reciprocated.

The problem is, I have to see him at work and discuss projects with him on a daily basis. How on earth do I go into the office heartbroken? How do I maintain good working relations while avoiding falling back into temptation? How can I reject his advances when every part of my body just wants to be with him? I am not going to cause a drama or have a "discussion" with him (I know I'll just end up crying and don't want to lose my self respect any further). I want him to get the message by maintaining my distance, but how can I do this without cracking under the pressure??

Leaving my job is not an option. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am all alone.

bluechocolate

I am not going to cause a drama or have a "discussion" with him (I know I'll just end up crying and don't want to lose my self respect any further). I want him to get the message by maintaining my distance,.....

hmmm.... you want him to read your mind? You should be mature enough to at least tell him that you no longer want to sleep together.

If you have to interact with him at work can you make sure that you two are not alone? Can you arrange things such that your interactions aren't spontaneous? That is, you know what time of day you'll have to discuss something and come up with some reason why there must be someone else involved, or you're at least in a very public environment within earshot of other people.

Julianna,

I know its going to be tough, but the only advice I can give is to 'suck it up.'

After doing this only once, when I was very young and naive, I made it a policy to NEVER date anyone that I worked with or for. Its just too darn difficult to remain 'professional' when you start mixing business with pleasure. Not to mention avoiding all the workplace gossip. :o

Chin up! And if you're unable to switch jobs, keep your fingers crossed and hope that he will. ;)