Coworker hogging all of the holidays

I am typing this morning as somewhat bitter employee. I have a coworker who is taking advantage of time off and because of it, I cannot take time off.

The coworker requested today, next Monday, day after Thanksgiving, and the week of Christmas all way to up to New Year's Day off. I was hoping that I could take some time off during at least Christmas week. The problem is that another coworker also took that week off so we will lack coverage (There are only 4 people on our team).

I guess my main complaint is that he hogged all the holidays for time off. He got off 4th of July week this summer too. Granted, I know it's my fault for not asking sooner, I snoozed, I lost. It's just frustrating because he got off for the two big family holidays and he doesn't even get along with his family! Whereas I love spending time with my family.

I also wouldn't mind it so much if he didnt have the day after Thanksgiving off too and that everyone else on my team is either off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's except for me. Blech!

Granted, I know it's my fault for not asking sooner, I snoozed, I lost.

This.

Sorry - lesson learned and you won't let it happen in the future...

Alternately - you could talk to your supervisor and see if there is any shuffling to be done on coverage.

• Like 1

What? You mean you didn't put in for Christmas vacation in JANUARY? shame on you.

Seriously, that does suck. Where I work, the company generally shuts down for the big holidays so if all of us want to be off, we can. I actually prefer to come in because I can get **** done without being pulled in multiple directions.

Since time off is at the discretion of management, I would speak to your supervisor and see if a compromise can be done or a new policy addressing a compromise for next year.

What field of work are you in? Most companies I have worked for, especially retail, black out major holidays for vacation time. So no one can take vacation around those prime times...due to business load and just to be fair to everyone else.

Where I work it's sort of known that employees with family get the family oriented holidays and the single folk get the fun ones.

Christmas is a fun holiday. Is Memorial Day fun? Labor Day? Odd distinction. The problem with Thanksgiving is that you usually get Thursday and Friday off so don't have to use up your vacation days. That is where the unfairness creeps in.