how does one begin a job search?

fortyninethousand322

I've decided that perhaps I need some advice. I graduated in May 2011 with a worthless degree (which I very much regret getting now) and shortly thereafter left my part time job of nine years. The last three semesters I dealt with probably depression and family issues (the depression was probably the bigger culprit of the two) and my grades sagged. Not too horribly, but I went from a 3.55 to a 3.29. This pretty much shot my chances at any of the graduate programs I think I'd like to go into.

So this leaves me with trying to find a job. I know the market is tough (especially for those who have been unemployed for over a year) but where should I begin? My only work experience is as a retail sales associate. I have no experience in management or anything other than using a register and interacting with customers and my supervisors. I have no "work skills" I suppose is what you could say. What skills I do have are the usual stuff you learn in four (in my case five) years of college: writing, critical thinking, you know the usual nonsense. I've been rejected for every bank teller position I applied for, same with a financial company that my friend gave me a reference for, and another data entry/analysis position rejected me after interviewing me twice.

At this point I'm kind of paralyzed with inaction. Do I go back to part time retail work? Do I try to get another bachelor's degree? Is there some kind of skill I can learn in some other way? Should I look for a "real job"? Any tips, advice, ideas?

And before anyone says this: I'm not interested in the military, or law enforcement. I know it sounds picky but really, no.

Your degree, is it in finance?

Mine was back in the day, and I ended up finding a job as an accounting clerk, I basically was a data entry clerk, but I did that for a year to earn some kind of experience.

I think going back to work part time in retail is a good idea while you're looking for a career because some work experience is better than none. If you can afford it, why not get another degree? I love learning, so that would be my route, not realistic for most people though.

Lots of smaller companies will hire people without experience because they know they can pay them less, or they don't offer benefits etc, it's easier to train someone from square one than to pay someone with lots of experience...maybe keep your eye out for those types of jobs?

I also thought about those job agencies, that's how I got my start. Make sure you have a good CV too, detailing your work experience. Doesn't hurt to fluff up the CV a little, as long as it's not outright lies ;)

Edited by River Rain
  • Author
fortyninethousand322
Your degree, is it in finance?

Mine was back in the day, and I ended up finding a job as an accounting clerk, I basically was a data entry clerk, but I did that for a year to earn some kind of experience.

I think going back to work part time in retail is a good idea while you're looking for a career because some work experience is better than none. If you can afford it, why not get another degree? I love learning, so that would be my route, not realistic for most people though.

Lots of smaller companies will hire people without experience because they know they can pay them less, or they don't offer benefits etc, it's easier to train someone from square one than to pay someone with lots of experience...maybe keep your eye out for those types of jobs?

I wish. It's religious studies. I went into because I wanted to do some kind of diplomatic work involving the Middle East. The school didn't have a Middle East studies program so they suggested Religious Studies. Swell idea that turned out to be. :rolleyes:

I had an unfortunate "conversion" though the summer after I graduated which caused me to become disillusioned with US foreign policy (not to get too political here though, just giving the reason). So now it's very difficult trying to find something involving policy that doesn't involve some kind of advocacy for war.

Well, I would never call education useless! But I can see how your having trouble, considering your "conversion"...I'm actually registered for a Buddhism course this winter, I think religion is fascinating. But what else can you do with your degree?

Office work might be the way to go. Or retail and moving up the ladder, from clerk to manager or something like that?

I would probably scour the job listing sites and just send out as many CV's as you can. If you have a good cover letter saying that you are quick to learn, eager etc...you might have a better chance. I used to work in HR and I once hired a young girl for reception based only on the fact that her attitude was so positive. I was happy to train her.

OP, I know many people in your same position. Especially my brother who graduated the same year...also a useless degree and no experience. Look for what you can....there are companies that just require a bachelors degree, no matter what it's in. Consider going back to school either nights or even online. I'm gaining experience while going to school online in hopes of avoiding this situation when I have my bachelors next summer. If you can afford it, consider interning.

I wish. It's religious studies. I went into because I wanted to do some kind of diplomatic work involving the Middle East. The school didn't have a Middle East studies program so they suggested Religious Studies. Swell idea that turned out to be. :rolleyes:

I had an unfortunate "conversion" though the summer after I graduated which caused me to become disillusioned with US foreign policy (not to get too political here though, just giving the reason). So now it's very difficult trying to find something involving policy that doesn't involve some kind of advocacy for war.

Tried the Red Cross yet? UNICEF, UNESO, UNITAR, ODA, OPCW, STL, etc, etc, etc?

• Like 1