A good friend as your boss???

I currently work in a pretty hi-octane environment. I bottle alot of my stuff up to make this job work. It's hell and my creativity suffers greatly when I return to it. A good friend of mine (since school) has offered me a job at his company. What are people's thoughts on friends working for a friend? I mean, I don't knw what it will be like getting a pay packet from him....he'd be cool to work with. Albeit, it's his business and so there's a lot riding on it.

how well do you know this person? I had a good friend I hired on when i was a manager. Well really my boss asked to tansfer her due to some issues (since i knew her I gave it a go) issue was, she was not what the company was going forward with. I also realize this is different from your siuation, just food for thought! So i decided she is not what the company wants but she has been employed here for three years. So i put her on a personal development plan and work with the overcoming of basically a company changing and giving her the chance to change. i got fired. Did not know why. still talked to said friend. untill the paket arrived. I recived three hours before court a packet on how I had threatened her, i had told her, in her words that i was goign to beat her up. She was so scared that she had to request police presence at ther apartment. Well being I had talked ot her the day before and people saw me at my old job and she hugged me(after I got fired) the judge threw out my dismissal and granted me unemployment compensation. Let alone I have never even been in a fight in my life. But it is still heck when interviewing with a new employer trying to explain the situation. (found out later she was bipolar and off her meds) So I reinforce how well do you know his person? Know this person VERY well go for it! maybe I did not know her well enough. Saying in my house is that I did not threaten her then but if I see her I will.

I have twice become close friends with my managers. It's great fun to work for someone you like, respect and share a sense of humour with. There are occasional problems when the closeness can can get in the way of telling each other the truth but as long as you can both be professional about it the positives heavily outweigh the negatives.