I still have no clue why people want to add laid off people to their facebook?

I been through a couple of layoffs and i always see the same pattern with the people I worked with. everyone is adding one another on facebook now that they are not working. So what is the point of adding a bunch of unemployed people like me to my facebook friend list? We are all in the same boat with no job and in competition with each other so what the hell is the purpose of adding someone if they are not really close to you?

Furthermore, Facebook is not really a site for networking so I still remain confused at why people do this

Maybe they like you and now they're not stressed about the possibility of losing a job, they have the energy and time to reach out and network with people they like.

You could ask them. Or just ignore them.

It probably has something to do with wanting to stay connected.

Facebook is a social networking site.

Like having acquaintances, family friends, friends, college buddies, beer buddies, co-workers, ex's, etc...

Now add in FB friends, Linked In, workplace alumni, etc...

Add them if you want, you don't have to be friends with everyone.

Feelin Frisky

Our society is socially illiterate due to more than a century of industrially- formatted factory-model education which completely neglects and ignores social development. So Facebook is a little more than a product minds formed by those crappy priorities offering technology to social illiterates to knock around however they see fit. There's almost zero design, zero vision, zero understanding of social capital and social potential, a business model in which the user is an after-thought well after the advertiser, and socially developmentally neglected people do and don't do things there for whatever reason that pops up on the spur of the moment. This is what you get with too much technology in the hands of opportunists who hop on the advertising buck, produce a predictable social pig pen and tell the world it's a "revolution.". It's not. It's a stumbling Evolution from one ad hoc mess to a slightly different ad-hoc mess.

• Like 1
Citizen Erased

I'd imagine it's because they will no longer see you in person at work, but wish to stay connected to you. Facebook is the easiest way to do so these days.