Just did a phone interview. Was this a rejection?

I'm about to graduate with my PhD. One of my advisors fwd me an email with a job description for "immediate consideration" (!!!). I apply and was contacted within 2 hours by a recruiter (small company, no HR) on Wed. and scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter for Thurs.

Thursday (yesterday), did the phone interview, it went great. She went over the job description and said I'd be the ideal candidate. She moved my info to the Director (person who'd be my boss). Director contacts me within the hr for a phone interview Fri (today).

Director called and it lasted 65 mins. He went over the goals of the company and the person he's looking for (someone with my specialization and he will train for the sales aspect-he's an MBA). We seemed to get along and my background fit the description he is looking for. Then comes the part where I ask questions. My Qs were all from the job description that was given to me by the recruiter and it seems like the recruiter got her info wrong (i.e. recruiter said its a "postdoc"-type job and the plan was to hire a new PhD to train for the sales aspect and then move them up within the company, that the company had a 5-yr plan for the candidate. Director basically said no, I could do this job for as long as I want, and am I still interested in the role given this info? Note: If this isn't a postdoc-type job, then I'm way overqualified for it). I still made myself sound very enthusiastic and said that it would be a good fit for me, gave examples to show why I'd be a good fit for them too, etc. but I'm afraid I came off as scattered and confused by asking my questions (but how was I supposed to know I had the wrong info??!).

At the end of our convo, he told me I'm a very strong candidate based on my area of expertise but (!!!!) that this job isn't even posted yet, the recruiter got the word out earlier than he expected, I'm the first person he's phone interviewed, that he expects more resumes to come in and screen, that he'd be out of town next week, and so he wont be doing interviews for 2-3 weeks (just before Thxgiving). Was this just a nice way of giving me a rejection?

Edited by jolbell

It's hard to tell.

Firstly, I think you need to decide if you really want this job. If you are less than enthusiastic then it may not be a good fit.

Put some more feelers out for other positions so that you don't give too much weight to this potentially less than perfect option, which might happen if it's the only option on the table when you graduate.

creighton0123

This is common when applying to small companies. They have the position available to hire, but want to be careful in filling it with the very first person they interview.

Behind closed doors, they will interview a few more people and do a pro/con on most of them and decide who they want to bring in for a face to face interview.

Don't close any doors waiting for this company. Take any and all interviews that come your way. The company shouldn't be the only one with the option as to whether or not you work there.

Not many organizations hire around December; unless it is required.

It does seem the company views you as a good candidate from what you described. With the current economy, many employers are very selective in who they interview and hire. It sounds like a good chance that you might get the position. I would however still apply to other places that interests you.

I'm about to graduate with my PhD. One of my advisors fwd me an email with a job description for "immediate consideration" (!!!). I apply and was contacted within 2 hours by a recruiter (small company, no HR) on Wed. and scheduled a phone interview with the recruiter for Thurs.

Thursday (yesterday), did the phone interview, it went great. She went over the job description and said I'd be the ideal candidate. She moved my info to the Director (person who'd be my boss). Director contacts me within the hr for a phone interview Fri (today).

Director called and it lasted 65 mins. He went over the goals of the company and the person he's looking for (someone with my specialization and he will train for the sales aspect-he's an MBA). We seemed to get along and my background fit the description he is looking for. Then comes the part where I ask questions. My Qs were all from the job description that was given to me by the recruiter and it seems like the recruiter got her info wrong (i.e. recruiter said its a "postdoc"-type job and the plan was to hire a new PhD to train for the sales aspect and then move them up within the company, that the company had a 5-yr plan for the candidate. Director basically said no, I could do this job for as long as I want, and am I still interested in the role given this info? Note: If this isn't a postdoc-type job, then I'm way overqualified for it). I still made myself sound very enthusiastic and said that it would be a good fit for me, gave examples to show why I'd be a good fit for them too, etc. but I'm afraid I came off as scattered and confused by asking my questions (but how was I supposed to know I had the wrong info??!).

At the end of our convo, he told me I'm a very strong candidate based on my area of expertise but (!!!!) that this job isn't even posted yet, the recruiter got the word out earlier than he expected, I'm the first person he's phone interviewed, that he expects more resumes to come in and screen, that he'd be out of town next week, and so he wont be doing interviews for 2-3 weeks (just before Thxgiving). Was this just a nice way of giving me a rejection?

Sounds like a rejection to me. When a prospective employer says he has several other people to interview, or that he'll be out of town, or that he won't decide on anything for a few weeks, that usually means you blew it somehow and he is letting you know that you shouldn't anticipate a response from them. It's been my experience, and I've gone on a lot of job interviews over the years, that if they want to employ you, they are quick to make a firm offer so that they won't lose you to some other company's offer. I think what happened was the employer determined that you were overqualified for the job they were offering, and for that reason, they aren't going to consider you. If they hire people that are overqualified, there's a good chance that employee will quit as soon as a better job comes along. Most employers won't hire people who are overqualified because of this. I know I've been turned down from prospective employers who thought I was overqualified and they said as much. They want someone who will be happy with the job long-term.

• 4 months later...
  • Author

I just wanted to give an update in case it would help someone who reads this post.

I ended up getting the job. The hiring manager thought I was an excellent fit. I was the first in-person interview he scheduled and probably the only one they considered. They also went out of their way to make me a very good offer they thought I would accept. I countered that offer and they accepted it right away. All in all, I'm very surprised at how the hiring process went and learned later that hiring managers have to be careful with their words. It was really tough waiting it out.

• Like 1
I just wanted to give an update in case it would help someone who reads this post.

I ended up getting the job. The hiring manager thought I was an excellent fit. I was the first in-person interview he scheduled and probably the only one they considered. They also went out of their way to make me a very good offer they thought I would accept. I countered that offer and they accepted it right away. All in all, I'm very surprised at how the hiring process went and learned later that hiring managers have to be careful with their words. It was really tough waiting it out.

Congratulations are in order!