Old problems could become new ones

I once worked with my "best friend" and his brother. I got into some "trouble" while working with them but did not cause them any harm directly. Chalk it up to youth and inexperience. My "best friend" that I would have given life and limb for turned his back on me and told every mutual friend we had about my indiscretions including my now ex-gf. Those "friends" subsequently turned on me also - needless to say I wasn;t a happy camper. 3 months later we become friends again and all is well. He gets a new girlfriend years later and she confided in me. I would tell him what she told me because what are friends for, right? Ok, I begin to suspect she is trying to use me to make him jealous. She told me he was running his mouth about our friendship and he ALWAYS had a big mouth telling my secrets. I became so enraged I decided it was time for a little payback and began to tell his girl about all of the foul things he'd done to me over the years. I had also warned him about the jealousy thing and told him I would cut her off as a friend. He tells me not to and asks me to pry further. I do, and he tells her the same thing unbeknownst to me at the time. She begins to lay it on thick as to let all of the blame fall upon me. 4 months later I'm in trouble @ work and know the boss, my "best friend", his cousin, and this bit&& all have it out for me. There's no way I'm going to get out of it this time. The boss states my ex-gf "took her clothes off in front of him" to the entire office while I'm sitting there. I was not going to put up with this kind of abuse & knew it would only get worse. I took a few weeks vacation in the hopes of things cooling down when I returned. They had actually gotten worse. I didn't give 2 weeks notice as is expected because this would have been a perfect opportunity for them to get at me even further. I picked up my last check and walked out. I wanted to tell someone else but knew if I did, word would get back to the boss and I'd be screwed. I had been in big trouble before and had made an agreement w/myself to never get into it there again. I ran out even though I didn't want to. My "friend" had known I was talking crap the entire time and was actually running his gf behind the scenes as she baited me to come to her house, etc. I couldn't believe it! I would've given my life for this guy! I didn't trust him at all after that, not even enough to get in the same car as him. Who knows where it may end up? This all happened in 2002 and I'm now applying for a city job. They want to look into my background and I don't need this $#@% coming up to screw me but I did work there. All of my old co-workers hate me for the way I left, but I didn't have a choice! Please respond with feedback!

Typically, past employers are restricted from saying much about your job performance unless you list them as a reference (as separate from listing your past employers). There have been too many lawsuits brought by job seekers who've claimed they lost out on jobs because of inaccuraices presnted by former employers. As a result, most have a policy of simply verifying the dates of your employment, title, salary and whether you resigned or were terminated (some may not even do this last bit). You will likely need to provide business references to the folks at the job you are applying for. Perhaps you can find someone from your previous job who can vouch for you in a positive way (always make sure this is the case because nothing will sink you faster than a reference you've selected who has nothing good to say about you).

I hope you are no longer engaged in the shenanigans you described. Frankly, it was too confusing to sort out but it sounded as if you were all too busy out-smarting one another to think about what you were doing. :(

Good luck in your job search.