"Do what you need to do"

TurtlePower

Is what my boss told me this morning when I asked for vacation to start next week. I'm not sure if she is disappointed or upset or mad or whatever. Keep in mind, I brought up to her a month ago I would like to take a vacation and she told me early August would be best, well next week is early August.

It just bothers me (I'm not sure if it should), but when else was I going to take it? A few weeks from now there is a big project waiting for us and this seemed liked the only logical time to go seeing as we just came off another big project.

Speaking of big projects we have had 3 of them in the last 6 months that have been all extremely taxing. In between them I took two days off and that is all. In the meantime during that timespan, she took a week off and had a 5 day weekend in the Caribbean. Honestly, if I couldn't get next week off, I would be burned out and wouldn't be at 100%. I kind of already feel that way now. I guess if she was really upset, she could have just said no. Or maybe she is feeling the stress of not having me around for the first time since I started working (I've been at this job a little over a year now) Nevertheless, I am a little uneasy because I like my job and I do actually like working for my boss and I don't want her to think I am some sort of slacker. Am I making mountains out of molehills here?

Make note of her response as a possible indicator of how she views her employees. I would also be miffed by her response, ESPECIALLY considering that she took a fairly long vacation in the middle of your organization's busy season.

Take your vacation.