ok to cry at a going away party,or no

Today,I went in to work and not knowing today was my bosses last day,but I heard one of the managers talking about it.I told myself not to cry and didnt cry,untill the end of the day.I knew he was going to be leaving,I just didnt know it was today.We had a cake for him.After the moment when he saw his cake,I walked way over cause,I was starting to get teary eyed.And one of the co-workers says to me "dont cry".One thing is when I'm feeling sad or start to cry,I dont like people telling me not to cry.Thats just the way I am.I was doing good and tried not to cry all day,but I started to cry a little at the end.The least she could of done,is to understand that its ok for me to cry.Everyone experiences being sad in different ways.Crying,is just one of them for me.The last thing you want when your feeling sad,is for people to tell you "dont cry".I just dont like this kind of pressure,when im feeling sad.

Patty

dalmatianbaby

I'm right there with you. A co-worker, and great friend, had his last day yesterday. I, too, am a natural crier and it was really hard not to let go. I put the "no cry" restriction on myself for two reasons: 1. I didn't want to make him feel bad for leaving, I knew his reasons for the move. 2. I didn't want to make other people (who didn't know him as well, or just plain didn't care as much) uncomfortable. It was really hard, and I did tear up a couple times. I just removed myself from the situation and took some time to get through it.

I know how much harder people make coping when they tell you not to cry. It both infuriates me and makes me more upset. Its like you aren't entitled to feel the way you do.

I say, go with what you feel. If you are comfortable showing your emotions in front of people (which I'm not), than let the tears flow. Emotional honesty is an admirable trait as far as I'm concerned!

Dalmatianbaby

• Author

Thanks.I always allow myself to cry, cause these types of things are understandable.But,I did real good this time,I went almost the whole day without crying.These types of things are harder for some people then others,thats why they dont understand why we cry.But crying is healthy too.

Patty