Bridging the Gap Between Performance and Potential

So I just got back from a performance evaluation where I was told that out of everyone in my training unit (about 50 of us), I was the one with the largest gap in terms of potential versus actual performance. Although I was performing reasonably well, my commander seemed to have higher than average expectations for me and expected me to be sitting near the top of the class. I have also been perceived by my peers to be generally unmotivated and lethargic, which I feel is just a reflection of my laidback demeanor.

So my question is, how do you bridge that gap? Where do you get the motivation to be any more than simply mediocre with minimal effort...? And have any of you ever personally experienced anything like this...?

While I haven't found the motivation yet to bridge such a gap in my own job, I think that the motivation to give it 110% usually comes from passion.

If you're not passionate about what you're doing, the people you're working with, or the projects you work on, it becomes very hard not to slip into the rut of doing only the bare minimum

Developing passion can take a while. Also consider that not everyone is motivated by the same things.

jean-luc sisko

Outline a plan. Sit down with your boss, and ask him what specific points you need to do to improve.

The best solution is to find a job that you actually take pleasure in doing.

I have the opposite situation: I get stellar reviews, which tend to really surprise me, because I constantly think I could be doing way better. That's a gift horse I'm not willing to confront if I don't have to.

Firstly, think about whether you accept this verdict or not. If you think it is likely to be accurate, then you need to know what they think you could be achieving that you are not. It may be, as you say, that they perceive you as laid back. They may be deceived by this into thinking you are not doing much when you are. Or, they may be right and you are clearly a bright guy who isn't focusing on the things they want him to get on with. You need to ask your supervisor to be more specific and give examples (and try not to get annoyed when he/she tells you).

The other thing worth mentioning is that this could be a tactic. It is not unknon, in some workplaces, for the supervisors to imply you could be doing better. This is supposed to make you feel you have to make more effort all the time. I have been in a workplace where employees were practically threatened with loss of job behind the scenes because they were underperforming. It's only when they got together and discussed the situation did they realise that their colleagues thought they were excellent and that this was a management tactic designed to make them feel intimidated and to work harder. Be aware that this happens but don't automatically assume it. Try to assess your situation as independently as possible, maybe getting feedback from colleagues. Listen and learn.

As regards motivation, I like to do a good job, whatever I'm doing, for my own satisfaction. If you've lost interest in your job, you might find that hard. Perhaps you should think about what kind of job would hold your attention and make you feel more motivated.

Edited by spiderowl
The best solution is to find a job that you actually take pleasure in doing.

Agreed. Unlike Tman's suggestion, I don't think you "develop" passion. You either have it, or you don't.

Agreed. Unlike Tman's suggestion, I don't think you "develop" passion. You either have it, or you don't.

This can be the case, but what I was referring to is that sometimes there can be "hidden passion". (Wow, that sounds like a crappy romance paperback novel).

By "hidden passion" I mean that sometimes the things that motivate a person aren't always immediately apparent. It can take time, trial, and error. Granted, I agree with you that it's a gamble. Sometimes it's just not there. However, if a person is not necessarily 100 percent free to do everything they want to (such as those in the military), it could help to keep an open mind about searching for different motivators and remaining optimistic.

I think he wants to see a little more out of you. Maybe he has convienced himself that if you were to do your own PT aside from what you all do as a group that you will build more endurance/stamina than what you already have, and after a couple weeks you will be where he thinks you are. You have to understand these guys have an eye for potential... perhaps he has seen your build/type before and knows exactly what you can do. Good luck honey!

I don't really relate to your dilemma. Don't you want to do/be the best you can as a matter of pride? This is what has motivated me when I've had jobs that were less than inspiring.

If you find that your job is so soul-sucking that you can'y muster even the pasion that goes with pride, I'd say it's time for a career change. When might this be ap ossibility for you?

To be honest, I am sort of surprised to hear this. Is it possible you are depressed?