getting a raise without asking for it

Like, is it weird for your boss to tell you you got a raise without you even knowing about it? I went into work today (sunday) to do some catch-up stuff, and when I was leaving he asked whether I saw a raise on my paycheck yet because I should be getting it this pay period. Glad I'm getting a raise, for sure, but ..... I'm not sure if 50 cents per hour is "standard" or "good" or "not-so-good," for being here for a year and a half (?!)

Well, 50 cents more an hour is $4.00 more a day. Which means maybe a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread....or a couple gallons of gas. Its hard to say if thats good or bad...without knowing your profession. I just got a 25 cent raise after 3 months, but I work at Target so I think thats pretty good and would be very pleased with a 50 cent raise.

The standard raise (for those fortunate enough to get one) should be what ever the average annual cost of living increase is for your state. For instance, it was 4% a year in my state, but I worked for the government so C.O.L.As and step increases were already built into the pay system. However, since the budget cuts, many government workers are no longer getting their annual increases.

I suppose it depends on who you work for. I don't think raises are mandatory, so getting one unexpectedly should be considered a blessing in disguise! I don't know if this is something you discussed with your employer prior to accepting the job, or if you have an employee manual, but it might be something you'll want to look into.

And congratulations! I once worked for a production company whose only bonus every year was to hand out a skinny Thanksgiving turkey!....No kidding! :mad:

HokeyReligions
The standard raise (for those fortunate enough to get one) should be what ever the average annual cost of living increase is for your state

In a perfect world! I received standard raises without being told when I used to work in retail.

The last raise I've had was in 2000. And my 1999 raise and bonus were fantastic. Wish I worked for that company still.

My mothers social security disability receives an annual increase BELOW the cost of living increase. I don't know very many people in the private sector that receive COL raises anymore. It seems like upper management gets huge raises/bonuses and middle management gets at COL or just below, and it just keeps getting smaller percent-wise as the rank gets smaller.

• Author

I was thinking-

I'm not sure I know how to figure out the percentage for this raise.

does it mean that I have to stop wearing jeans to work?

must I work 8-5?

can I still write with glitter pens?

do I have to take down my mugshots of george bush scotch-taped over glossies of beauty queens?

:bunny: