Cutting employee's hours without the tension

HeartOnSleeve

Not sure if anyone has had this experiance but here goes, as short and sweet as I can make it....

I own a small retail business and have one part time employee who actually does work at about 35-40 hours per week and one full time employee who works at least 40 hours a week. We are open 7 days a week.

As we are so small, we are like a small family and we treat our employees very well. As of now it is starting to frustrate myself and my business partner as it feels as though they are taking advantage of our schedual, break times, days off and they are not being flexible with the holidays coming. Their attitudes stink. They come in late, eat when they want, run off to smoke or talk on their phones, we do most of the work becuase they get all pissy and "oh and hum" about everything. They don't appreciate us at all.

Things are tight with our business and we are considering cutting their hours down to 20-30 and it kills us to watch them both work together and just "stand around". We really don't need both of them on at the same time. Like I said they have been lucky enough so that the schedual has accomidated them, but in the new year there needs to be some major changes.

Any suggestions on shifting their scheduals with out rocking the boat to much. It's a bit of a sensitive subject as the full time has been able to get one full weekend off month, mean while my partner and I have not had a weekend off in quite some time. They get 6 paid holidays a year and always get an annual raise.

We are too close to them to do anythign that is too "corporate" but we need to focus on our business in 2011 and not their happiness so much or else there will be no business to employ them!

Thanks all!

Do we do the schedual and write them a letter explaining the situation?

desertIslandCactus
Not sure if anyone has had this experiance but here goes, as short and sweet as I can make it....

I own a small retail business and have one part time employee who actually does work at about 35-40 hours per week and one full time employee who works at least 40 hours a week. We are open 7 days a week.

As we are so small, we are like a small family and we treat our employees very well. As of now it is starting to frustrate myself and my business partner as it feels as though they are taking advantage of our schedual, break times, days off and they are not being flexible with the holidays coming. Their attitudes stink. They come in late, eat when they want, run off to smoke or talk on their phones, we do most of the work becuase they get all pissy and "oh and hum" about everything. They don't appreciate us at all.

Things are tight with our business and we are considering cutting their hours down to 20-30 and it kills us to watch them both work together and just "stand around". We really don't need both of them on at the same time. Like I said they have been lucky enough so that the schedual has accomidated them, but in the new year there needs to be some major changes.

Any suggestions on shifting their scheduals with out rocking the boat to much. It's a bit of a sensitive subject as the full time has been able to get one full weekend off month, mean while my partner and I have not had a weekend off in quite some time. They get 6 paid holidays a year and always get an annual raise.

We are too close to them to do anythign that is too "corporate" but we need to focus on our business in 2011 and not their happiness so much or else there will be no business to employ them!

Thanks all!

Do we do the schedual and write them a letter explaining the situation?

The business comes first .. You must make the changes that will help you to keep the doors open, especially in this economy.

You cannot have employees who just pace themselves and take advantage..

Since they have taken free reign it can be difficult to cut their hours back, but it must be done.

And remember, all employees are replaceable..

More in PM.

If you have decent employees and you treat them right, you should have a happy, motivated workforce. So they aren't decent or you don't treat them THAT well.

Hire a helper for Xmas, after Xmas annouce times are hard, the alternative to closing the doors is for "all of us" to work smarter and a few less hours.

After a week, layoff the least productive worker. It should motivate the 2 survivors (if it is a job worth having)

Good luck

• Author
HeartOnSleeve

Thanks so much...I think it's just something that you need to hear from a 3rd party. Yes my business is more important and yes there are other employees out there and people looking for jobs.

I treat my employees like family...so they are A. taken care of and B. should be happy as they know anything they need I will do my best to provide. Trust me when I say they have it EASY.

I just think work ethic has died in todays business world. There's no pride in a job well done anymore. It's all for the paycheck. I was always taught no matter how big or small the job is treat it as your own and be proud of your work. Everyone walks around as if they are intitled to more then they are worth and if I give them an inch they take a mile.

Thanks appreaciate the input!