Should I tell my boss? Making mistakes at work for months ...

I have started a new job 3 months ago. My relationship with boss is relatively OK.

I just realized that I made quite a few mistakes due to a techical misundersanding that was not cleared at the beginning of my job.

On the one hand, it is not a big deal, however, I know I would have done better work in the past 3 months, had this part of my job been clearly explained. My boss is generally satisfied with my work, but she also made it absolutely clear that I need to improve.

Also, it is a possibility, that she (my boss) did not specifically explained this part of my work to me, because she supposed I would do it that way anyway.

Should I tell her now, that all the mistakes I made were a consequence of this miscommunication? The mistakes are already made, so I woud rather just focus on my work, instead of telling her. But I do feel bad about it, and also, I don't know what is the usual/common procedure (etiquette). This is my 1st serious job, and my responsibility is a lot higher than at any other jobs I had. Any advice appreciated!

What kind of consequences are we talking about from these mistakes? Can you just fix (or have you already fixed) the mistakes without there being specific consequences for anyone (clients, co-workers, etc.)? Or are these mistakes are having (unintended) consequences right now?

• Author
What kind of consequences are we talking about from these mistakes? Can you just fix (or have you already fixed) the mistakes without there being specific consequences for anyone (clients, co-workers, etc.)? Or are these mistakes are having (unintended) consequences right now?

I can start fixing things as from today.

The consequence I am talking about is basically that I come across as an unprofessional worker. In other words, I am the one who is mostly affected, however, indirectly, my co-workers had to work to "fix my unprofessionalism", and to a small extent, the business was probably also affected.

Generally speaking, I honestly feel that it is not a big deal really. As far as my boss is concerned, she said to me she is very satisfied with my work and sees me as a hard worker, but I need to improve at some areas. I do believe that now, when I realize I made these mistakes, I can clearly improve.

Also, I believe that the reason/cause of me being unprofessional was due to something that was not clearly communicated when I started the job. This is why I do feel so bad about this - I know I wouldn't have made these mistakes had I known exactly how/what to do in certain situations.

So basically, my performance will definitely be better from today, but I kind of feel bad because of the situation.

I think that if I told my boss about this ( "since this aspect of job was not clearly explained to me..."), it would just make the situation worse. I have gone from really wanting to talk to her about this in the morning to not wanting to talk at all. I don't know if she, as a boss, would appreciate me approaching her and asking her to clearly explain certain things to me in the future, or would she think I am a pain in the a**.

Since it was your boss who trained you or who directed you...there is no way to point out that your training was insufficient and led to your mistakes. Never do that.

You have only been there 3 months. You have realized your errors and have taken steps to correct your performance. The improvements will be evident at your next review, if your boss points out the lack of specific errors...you can then say : Yes, I solved my problem.

If your boss again addresses your need for improvement or you feel the need to bring it up:

Hey, I realized what the issue was with my procedure and have corrected it - I believe you will be pleased with the improvement of my performance.

"since this aspect of job was not clearly explained to me ..." ahh ... no. Because that leads your superior to believe that you refuse to take responsibility for whatever mistakes that were made on your watch.

take note and start making improvements. When you get a new assignment, repeat back what it is so that you know you have complete understanding of what it is ... if you get something wrong, that's her opportunity to correct the misunderstanding. It also shows good listening and communication skills, discussing the new assignment this way.

as for the initial goof with the particular assignment, when the topic is brought up, just simply admit that you initially misunderstood what was meant to be done, but now that you get it, you feel there won't be any similar problems in the future. Because what your superior wants to know is that you've learned from your errors/mistakes/trials, not that you are trying to explain them away.

• Author

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your replies. In fact, I feel much better now after reading your thoughts! You are absolutely right, it would be a mistake to talk to her, so I am definitely not doing that. What I will do is pay attention and work hard. :rolleyes: Thank you all!

I can start fixing things as from today.

The consequence I am talking about is basically that I come across as an unprofessional worker. In other words, I am the one who is mostly affected, however, indirectly, my co-workers had to work to "fix my unprofessionalism", and to a small extent, the business was probably also affected.

Generally speaking, I honestly feel that it is not a big deal really. As far as my boss is concerned, she said to me she is very satisfied with my work and sees me as a hard worker, but I need to improve at some areas. I do believe that now, when I realize I made these mistakes, I can clearly improve.

Also, I believe that the reason/cause of me being unprofessional was due to something that was not clearly communicated when I started the job. This is why I do feel so bad about this - I know I wouldn't have made these mistakes had I known exactly how/what to do in certain situations.

So basically, my performance will definitely be better from today, but I kind of feel bad because of the situation.

I think that if I told my boss about this ( "since this aspect of job was not clearly explained to me..."), it would just make the situation worse. I have gone from really wanting to talk to her about this in the morning to not wanting to talk at all. I don't know if she, as a boss, would appreciate me approaching her and asking her to clearly explain certain things to me in the future, or would she think I am a pain in the a**.

OK. quankanne's response is good, I second that. Good luck :)