Does anybody out there have an employee/coworker that totally abuses the system

Okay, so I'm at work....a hospital, nothing critical, working in the computer department. We're the people that tork off your nurses/doc's because the system isn't working or they can't remember 1 god damn password.

But that isn't the rant/rave of today....that can wait.

What really has me torked off today is the fact that we're extremely busy. A virus running around our network reaking havic on our system, we did a system upgrade mid week last week and it is now starting to show some problems because the "super-users" didn't do the appropriate testing before we went LIVE. Plus the normal amount of crap going on...my pc won't boot up, blah blah blah.

Well, there's this lady in our department that has her 3 kids call the office several times a day, even tho they're in school....for stupid ****...like...I forgot my homework....so she goes home (which is 20 minutes away one way, gets them their homework, takes it to the school, and drives back to the office)....then when they get home, they call back...how do I do laundry. The kids call everyday and asks the same god damn question. She leaves to take them to one event to another, takes lunch off campus (1 hour even tho she's only allowed a half hour)....this is in addition to the time she's spent taking care of her "motherly" duties.

She's decided to go back to school...which is all fine and dandy. I will be starting classes soon myself. Except when she is in the office, she's doing her homework on WORK time! Only because "she doesn't have time at home to do it."

We have the same position...except I'm being assigned 99% of the tasks and she gets paid more (she's worked here in the dept 5 years more than me, but I have been in the position longer) My boss said, to my face, "I'm giving this task to you cuz I know it will get done." This lady has tasks out there that haven't been even looked at since May....yet she bitches because when we get a new system in, I'm put in charge of setting it up, making sure the users are comfortable, blah blah blah....I'm like AAHH.

So today, I give her a list of stuff that people have called me asking to be fixed...which are her tasks (we had an argument on doing other's tasks when they were obviously assigned to the other person....)...and she had a cow because she might actually have to do some work.

Then oddly, her "daughter" called and said she wasn't feeling well. Guess who left to take her to the doctor, and depending on how she was feeling...would be back.

I'm tired of this (*$*$!!! I love my job...I like 75% of the people I work with.....it's people like her that really jerk my chain.

Ahhh....finally some relief.

****Question******

1. Does anybody out there have an employee/coworker that totally abuses the system like that

2. How do you control your frustration

HokeyReligions

It's everywhere. In one job that I had, I sat around for several weeks with virtually nothing to do. I took long lunches, came in late, left early, because even though several of my counter-parts in the department were swamped, I was waiting for the workload to break free in my direction. When it did I had 60 hour weeks. One person who started at about the same time I did got so mad that she complained, loudly, to anyone near her, that she was doing all the work and I was wasting the company dime. (I did have a few things to do & was as productive as I could be, but I know the appearance was that I was just goofing off)

Somewhere along the 3rd of 4th week of my "goofing off" the other woman went over our supervisors head (our supervisor knew what was going on, and we would discuss some upcoming things, but that looked like we were just sitting around chatting too) and reported to an HR person that I was doing nothing and our supervisor was playing favorites, and how great it was that she could point out a major money waster at the company, and she would be willing to take on the couple of little things that I did each week, blah blah blah. My supervisor got called into HR. Then this woman got called in and it was explained to her why I wasn't busy at the time. then I got busy and she was transferred out somewhere.

I've also worked where some special considerations are given to one employee over another - & it might seem unfair, but look at the work trends, specific responsibilities, and past performance of the individual. If the employer doesn't expect any more out of her then she gives, then she will continue to "get away with it" and because the employer expects the high-level of work that you do and know you will get done - they'll give you more - which may feel like you are being shat on.

I also worked at a company where the Office Manager went back to school for her degree. She worked maybe 5 hours a day and did a lot of her school work during company hours. The company was paying her tuition with the understanding (not written contract) that the company would reap the benefits of her new degree.

We complained so much about her that eventually she was asked to leave. Whoop-dee-do, she had already planning on leaving after she graduated, but we pushed her out the door a month or so before she was ready and she didn't have a job lined up yet.

Being a hospital situation - the cost of health care is so high, if you can document how much money she is wasting and how much can be saved by eliminating her, or restructuring her hours so that she is part-time, you may have a lever to do something. I know that some of what I pay for medical goes to the administrative costs as well as the actual health care, but I'd like to think that the money is utilized properly and not spent on someone who is collecting money and not working for it.