Bartending School

I recently lost my job and was taking it pretty hard. I'm still waiting for unemployment. Which is now this long winded process now. Anyways , I was thinking of attending bartending school. I'm done a search about them but any one have any experience as being a bartender. What I should know? How to quickly identify liquors?

I used to bartend and for the most part I enjoyed it very much and if you get a job at a good place you can make great money tips. People tend to be more giving when they have a had a little to drink. You will quickly learn the liquors and how to identify drinks as you go. The only drawback is sometimes you have to deal with drunks and it is not fun.

I bartended my way through my second half of college and first year of law school. If I ever left the practice of law, I'd open a bar and bartend. It's hard work sometimes, but SO MUCH FUN! Good money too!

I did it without going to a bartending school, but the place I worked had a sort of on-site training that they'd let you go through. Bartending school certainly couldn't hurt! :)

InternationalPlayboy

I used to bartend at a bunch of different establishments. The serving and mixing of the drinks is pretty easy, especially if you attend bartending school. The money is definitely good to even very good. I know a few long-time bartenders that were definitely making six-figures which sounds insane, but it's true. I did not make that much, but for a college job it more than paid the bills.

But - there is a but - the hours are sucky and the prep work prior to open and after close are a pain in the ass and completely unglamorous.

InternationalPlayboy

Also - I worked for a few years without formal bartending training, but eventually enrolled in a school primarily for the job placement services which are very helpful. If you go to a school, you'll have little problem finding a job. Whether it's the perfect bar is another story. But they will definitely set you up with something.

Teacher's Pet

Until I injured my knee which limits the amount of hours I'm supposed to stay on my feet at one time, I was able to fully support myself as a bartender (I still make about 1/2 my income from the same restaurant, just less hours now...)

Bartending school is a "mixed blessing"... it's a good way to learn the ropes and learn the "rookie mistakes" (by the way, a "rookie mistake" behind the bar can cost a place it's license...and in some states can get you thrown in jail!)..... BUT.... most bar owners know bartending school constantly churn out "graduates", so saying your primary experience is from learning at a bartending school, they will usually pass you up unless they get really desperate.

Also, with the economy the way it is, bartending schools have been FLOODED the last couple of years... there are most "newbies" out there looking for jobs than ever, and the bars know it.

Plus, as a bartender, whether you want to be or not, YOU are partially responsible for bringing the crowd... many better bars only hire bartenders with a loyal following (especially if you live near a major city like I do), something I find ridiculous, but it's how it is......

Sadly, bartending is slowly becoming a "hot chicks only" type of profession....BUT.... if you are a qualified male bartender like I am, you can do quite well bartending in a fine restaurant.... not as "crazy" an atmosphere, but people tend to tip better, since these places attract a more wealthy crowd.

Where I work, it's in one of the wealthiest parts of NJ. My regulars include CEO/CFO types, doctors, lawyers, business owners, a police chief, a mayor, and even a potential Congresswoman. :) Interesting chatter to listen in on, I must say. :)

So, if you want my opinion on bartending schools..... go for it, but see if you can find a friend who works in a bar/restaurant who can vouch for you... there are too many "bartending school graduates" out there with no experience vying for the same job... and a LOT of VERY experienced bartenders out there looking for work who only need to drop the name of one popular spot they've worked at to jump to the front of the line....:)

If you are willing to deal with drunks, annoying chefs (as I do lol), demanding customers, the ABC, mopping/sweeping floors, cleaning beer/wine/whiskey/vomit on a nightly basis, working until 3-4am (depending on where you are)....

...bartending might be right for you!

-TP

and this explains why bartenders never attend "Career Day" at school.

• 4 weeks later...

Every bartender I know says to go to bartending school, but not to even mention it on an application. Experience, confidence and humor is what will get you a job.

• Author

Thanks everyone for the info.

I am partially glad I didn't go to bartending school and waste my money... for someone who was unemployed... 400 dollars is a lot.

Oh yea, I found a job!!!

Its at a sports bar, and its not like a dive bar. Its opening sometime next year so eveything is new. So this will give me the experience I want as a waitress. And be able to learn drinks, and then hopefully ill be able to train behind the bar..