Scared to move to a new job...

I've been working for a Co. for 10 years...

Small family owned business, Boss can be demanding (what boss isnt)

and nearly everyone that's left the co. has left disgruntled or moved on

to better things. The Boss can be kinda cheap and can also take advantage of us and our time. It's HIS company though, i get it. However, we don't get Dental, we don't get Eye coverage, all "bonuses" i know, i'm not entitled, but they sure help when you don't get paid much.

BUT, last year he cut salaries and cut out all cash bonuses he used to give every year (which helped) and stopped contributing to our retirement funds due to the economy. I freaked. So, i decided to get a second job on the side to help make ends meet in a pinch, which has been hard because I'm away from

my family the whole weekend.

I'm actively looking for a new day job. But it's scary when I have a wife and child that I support and love. I wish i had jumped ship a long time ago when it was safe. Here, I at least know that I wont get laid off, the Boss

really needs us (although he's not willing to pay to keep us happy)..Who

knows what will happen at a different company?

Anyway, i'm just stressing out and worrying.

Edited by StreetDog
desertIslandCactus

In this economy I don't think there's anything wrong with not having optical/dental coverage or retirement fund .. Everything considered, he shouldn't have cut your pay though .. especially considering he has cut staff.

Keep your eyes open in search for other employment While in this job. You may wish seek a part time job that has potential for fulltime permanent employment toward a job more desireable.

Internet, employment agencies, dept of employment, walking your resumes door to door on off time.

Further schooling toward a part time job in real estate, etc etc ..