Belittling.....

I started this one job about 2 1/2 weeks ago, and find myself working with good people. The only thing is, my manager who is always sarcastic has mentioned stuff that seems very serious. I work at a bagel shop where I do a variety of things. Most of the time I work on the prep stuff and she has to always throw in that I need to pick it up, etc. I to most people would be considered slow, and been told I am slow, but I bust my ass to do the best job possible and feel like I am slow at everything. I really don;t know how to deal with my manager. Sometimes she is joking and being sacastic when she says stuff like that, and sometimes she does not. But I find that people are always belittling me. It has happened at all my jobs and I don't stick up for myself. My reaction would be just getting mad and irritated which then affects my performance with serving customers. Don't know what to do anymore. I am just doing this job for the time being and it is not something that happens to often but when it does happen, it really affects me and hurts my feelings. Maybe someone can help me.

just kill them with kindness, esp. your manager. She most likely knows that it isn't your life's dream to work in her bagel shop all her life, and once she sees the smiles instead of hearing griping, she'll settle down. Or so I'd hope!

the other thing is to explain to people who complain, that while you might be slow right now, you're still getting into the hang of things and that you really are an efficient worker, it just seems to take a little bit of time. I think everyone -- no matter how experienced they are -- tends to be slow a little at first in a new job, I know it takes me awhile to feel confident, but when I do, I do all right.

so keep your head up and don't let the turkeys drag you down.

my suggestion would be not to work some place where they expect you to be anyone but you..... if you are slow, don't work a job where the pace is really fast....... it seems simple to me....... if your slow, find a job like in a library, or coffee house, where the pace is slower and not so demanding, then you'll thrive in that environment

hey longlegz,

o, baby, i've been there. hang in there, here a couple of tips that helped me.

1. when you receive criticism - just say 'i see your point and will work to change that'. this way, if he or she bitches again, he or she is just being an a**h***, and its clear to both of you.

2. know that the problem is with the industry, not with you. miminium wage jobs just suck. the retail industry is generally quite disrespectful to their workers.

3. find it funny. laugh when you are slightly behind with whatever. it's disarming and it adds to your power. you exist as a person outside of this ridiculous job, you need the money and that's that.

4. know that in a year you won't remember any of these people. these are not important relationships.

5. use the job as a dating tool, tho discreetly.

6. know you're not alone. everyone gets in trouble at work. i just got in rather large trouble, and have to just let it go.

hugs and support,

j