Task Inquiry- How to complete

Each Year the staff is requested to complete a Job Description and Duties Required.

This year I am challenged as the duties have grown in detailed work and become a beast to perform in the required time frame allotted.

My current boss is a Readers Digest kinda of guy. Prefers simple to read.

The problem I have with that mentality is he doesnt grasp at all the amount time necessary to complete a task.

To him if you write for example: Build a rocket ship. He considers that one thing to do and doesnt measure the years of engineering and the group effort needed. He just says "Gee I see you have limited tasks being asked of you! Lets Add some more to justify your job here." Obviously we perceive things way differently in executing..He simply directs things get done without ever knowing what it takes to apply the programs and gather the materials...or troubleshooting time. (BTW I am not an engineer, just trying to give a concrete example)

Long story short- Do I simply minimize the job duties to appease him or consider this an opportunity to detail out each step necessary in the task being performed?

To preface this matter- He is having to present to the owners reasons why he needs to have the staff he does and how to downsize without injury to the business and customer expectations. My creation of this job description and task list will be reviewed by the owners.I could be setting myself up to be removed if not valuable enough....

I did read though that its the Boss or Manager that should be writing this as they are the ones who should have a grasp of what each employee duties are in accordance with the Workflow and Corp. Procedures.

Any suggestions how to compose this? Are there sites that are resourceful to aide in this? Really could use feedback on which avenue to take - Thank you!!!

Edited by Tayla
spelling
  • Author

I found a way to tackle this task , first thru the excel program by creating time lines and tasks, charting it then creating a wonderful 8 page point by point of the dynamics!

Thanks to the posters who read this! It inspired me just how much the task is left up to myself and ner'r do ask for help....Self reliant, forgot that one :)

I think you're going to get lots of different suggestions here, so I might as well add mine:

I'd suggest you don't minimize or it make it too lengthy either so that he can cope with it. The fact that he doesn't appreciate what's involved doesn't mean that you should sacrifice your talents and achievements to fit his worldview of what you and others might do. Imagine writing it as if someone else is actually going to have to do the job and give an idea of the complexity of the tasks and the skills involved, maybe keep it to headings and then a bullet point list of tasks and skills required.

Speaking of skills, it seems to me this could be an opportunity to make him aware what skills and abilities are needed for the job and what a talented member of staff he must have if you are able to do all this. Maybe yiou could emphasise the skills, like ingenuity, creativity, critical-path analysis, people skills, ability to develop and maintain contacts and how many you've got.

These are just a few suggestions: ultimately, you've got to feel comfortable with what you submit. Trying to downplay what you do because your boss can't think in depth isn't necessarily best for you though. Bear in mind that a less sensitive, ambitious, go-getter would have no such qualms about blowing their own trumpet.