My First Networking Event...

Hey all,

School is starting in two weeks and I thought what better way to start junior year than by signing up for some networking events. I'm studying Accounting so there will be reps from accounting firms- big and small. My problem is.. I've never been to a networking event before and I'm not naturally outgoing. I've heard that these events are pretty relaxed. I really am interested in accounting but I hate the fact that I have to act "fake" to get hired. I'm a no-non-sense guy and really hate schmoozing ... but if I have to do it to get my career started, then I wanna do it with style :cool:

I'd really appreciate some tips on how to not get anxious and be more calm and outgoing at these events or just any tips to further improve my social skills in general.

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps,

It is a rather painful reality that unfortunately to get one's self through the first door of a company, you have to put on a little bit of an act.

By that I mean, no matter how you are feeling, look like the happiest, outgoing guy there. If somebody says something that really pisses you off, swallow the bile and make a mental note about that particular character.

Most importantly look interested, even if its something you already know. These companies are looking for the type of guy who can fit in and who is eager to learn. They don't want a smartass or someone who can barely raise a smile.

I suggest you have a look at www.linkedin.com and sign up to some career groups and accountancy groups that offer free advice and information. Bloody good networking site as well.

Good luck