Exceeding expectations?

gonewiththe_wind

So I have a few months probationary period at this job. Now, its a professional consulting firm. I have been bad it for the past year and am hoping to redeem myself within the period, and hopefully keep my job. I have only been working for a year, so am relatively new to the work force. Call me naive, but I always treated it as a 9-5 job just like one would treat a Macdonald's job. Now I came to understand that a professional job requires much more commitment than doing what is asked of you. Apparently there's more... Trouble is, my boss tells me its everything... but what IS everything?

I am trying desperately to keep my job but doing so I believe would require me to exceed expectations. However, I am having trouble knowing my ways to improve. I mean the seniors have already formed a view about my performance, they are unlikely to give me proper work that would allow me to show that I am capable. I am concerned that my months of opportunity would just dry out as people simply don't give me proper work. So this is not just about the boss giving me an opportunity to redeem myself, its also about changing everyone's view of me. But it appears that my colleagues' views of me being incompetent seem so strong that I even feel a bit alienated. How do I steer clear of this massive obstacle? Has anyone been in this situation and managed to turn this situation around? Please help me!!

If you look around, you'll find tons of work that is either being neglected, or can be done better.

Make sure you're always on top of the work you're assigned. Then look for other projects you can make your own, that would help the business. Surely there's something to automate that you're familiar with; or some process that's retardedly inefficient?

• Author
gonewiththe_wind

Thanks spookie for your advice. A day went by without doing any real work. I pretty much sat around doing training readings. The thing with our work place is that you either get assigned work or you don't, because there is a budget that restricts the amount of time you use on clients. Most of the admin stuff is done by secretaries.

The thing is, if I don't have any work, then I can't prove to them that I can do better; on the other hand, they won't give me any work, if they don't know that I have improved. It's such a circular problem. And even if I have improved and shown so, people tend to want to believe what they already know.

curiousnycgirl

Have you discussed this with your manager? If you've been put on probation, you should have been given very explicit feedback of their expectations of you.

Historically employees needing to improve their performance, they were given development plans and regular meetings were held between them and their managers.

In the current environment, it is an unfortunate reality that companies are putting less effort into helping their underperforming employees turn around. I suggest you reach out to your manager and ask for a development plan.

Good luck

BlueEyedGirl

Hmmm it's puzzling why you would be put on probation if you did everything that was assigned to you at a reasonable level. I mean you won't get promoted but people don't get fired because they don't do extra work.

BoredPerson

Cold hard truth. Employers will sack ugly people. Partricularly small owners who have a lot of control or people in big companies with much control.

They'll hire some smooth skinned, olive skinned young lady with round hips and bouncy breats that stick out of her corporate attire. Hoping she'll work under the desk but she never will.

Or they'll go with my jhonny slick. Looks are soo important so is image.

BoredPerson
there is a budget that restricts the amount of time you use on clients. Most of the admin stuff is done by secretaries.

Which is stupid. Typical corporate culture. Thinking they're too important to do basic work, will cost them in the long run. Elitist retards no doub.t

Which is stupid. Typical corporate culture. Thinking they're too important to do basic work, will cost them in the long run. Elitist retards no doub.t

Uh, no, that's not it.

When clients are being BILLED for professional time, it's not appropriate for a billing professional to do tasks (and CHARGE the client) that can and should be done by administrative staff (FOR FREE).