This is kind of messed up.

There is a guy leaving the office, he has been here for about three years. He is in a role in which he has to work with everyone and help everyone. He is a very nice guy and generally everyone likes him.

The problem, when people leave my boss get's very pissed and vindictive. Well, some people wanted to go to lunch with this guy on his last day to say farewll (not on the company dime or anything). Management told his superviser that he could take him and his direct co-workers (in his department) to lunch but no one else because "they don't want it to be a big celebration when people leave."

Another employee and myself think that's not very cool. I mean technically we can do what ever we want on our lunch breaks but they are tell this manager not to invite others to go.

Basically they are being spiteful. I just wanted to vent and to ask: would you (of course if you knew him :)) go to lunch with this person despite what the boss said?

Yup. But while they can't dictate what I do on my lunch, they do dictate the length of it. I'd just ensure that you can be back in time...

If you guys are in a union, have a sick out... :laugh:

Honestly, if you dictate your own lunch time, go do whatever you want.