Really freaking out now. HR ppl hlep.

OK so I'm filling out the paperwork for the job tonight and I come across the employment eligibility verification sheet. It says I need either a passport or an ID + SS card that doesn't say "not eligible for employment".

Guess what my SS card says? Yep. I immigrated to the US when I was 6, got citizenship when I was 11, but I still have the old card. I've used it to be hired dozens of times. No one's ever cared.

And my passport's in my car, in Tennessee.

Am I going to be sent home tomorrow morning?

Star Gazer

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? That with your ID should be enough.

Or have your passport FedEx'd to you by your parents or something.

Just tell the HR peeps that you didn't realize you needed two forms of identification.

Don't freak out. That paperwork isn't really treated like a drop-dead, first day requirement. You just have to get it worked out soon. Nothing to stress over, except that it's going to be a bit of a pain in the rear.

HR works at the speed of lettuce. So there's enough time to get it sorted. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

If you get deported, ask to go somewhere that has a beach. And some surf, preferably.

• Author
Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? That with your ID should be enough.

Or have your passport FedEx'd to you by your parents or something.

Just tell the HR peeps that you didn't realize you needed two forms of identification.

My birth certificate would be worthless, I wasn't born in the US. And my passport's miles away from my parents. Someone CAN send it to me, but I'm afraid I'll get fired on the spot... that won't happen, right? All along I've felt like a fraud for this job; maybe that's why I'm paranoid.

Storyrider

I doubt they'll fire you on the spot. Just tell them you'll get it to them within 5 business days or something to that effect.

All that will happen is that you probably won't get paid until the paperwork gets processed. Just get the passport sent to you! And relax. Paranoid people don't make for good employees - with or without a valid passport.

If the sky falls, just declare it lost, and get a replacement. But surely the sky is not falling.

• Author

I'm such a freaking moron though. I remember packing up my s!ht to fly home, realizing my passport was hidden deep inside my car, and thinking, fcvk that, I'm running late, I probably won't need it. That's so freaking irresponsible.

If the HR person does happen to ring up the FBI right away, then you might want to get out of there. Otherwise, just relax. You're part of the rat race now.

they'll fire you on the spot.

I see what you mean. Do you think she'll be thrown out of the hotel, too? Man, I would be having a big breakfast.

Storyrider
I'm such a freaking moron though. I remember packing up my s!ht to fly home, realizing my passport was hidden deep inside my car, and thinking, fcvk that, I'm running late, I probably won't need it. That's so freaking irresponsible.

Oh, well. School of hard knocks? Nah, that doesn't work for me either. I just get lots of bumps on my head, which makes me even stupider.

Don't worry, Spookie, just use a firm handshake, smile and nod a lot tomorrow. All will be well.

• Author
I see what you mean. Do you think she'll be thrown out of the hotel, too? Man, I would be having a big breakfast.

Perhaps I should pack up the flat screen and the hairdryer now?

They make those little Danishes pocket-sized for a reason.

Storyrider

:laugh: I love it when you misquote me.

I was thinking they're more likely to keep her now that they've paid for her room several nights already.

• Author

Thanks a lot, guys. :love: I really appreciate it.

I really hope they won't notice what it says on my card, just like no one has in the past.

I'm such a freaking moron

That's so freaking irresponsible.

They obviously gave you the job because they felt sorry for you. Anyway, the charity isn't likely to end all of a sudden, so relax.

Try to avoid the overuse of the word "freaking" at work. You want to give them the impression that you at least have a double-digit vocabulary.

Storyrider
Thanks a lot, guys. :love: I really appreciate it.

I really hope they won't notice what it says on my card, just like no one has in the past.

Well, it is HR...maybe they can't read.

• Author

Try to avoid the overuse of the word "freaking" at work. You want to give them the impression that you at least have a double-digit vocabulary.

Haha. IRL I swear like a sailor. I was just thinking today how I'm gonna have to tone that down for this job (at my old one it gave me cred).

Have you got a highlighter pen? Like, one of those fluorescent yellow ones? Highlight everything on the card, except for the dodgy bits.

• Author
Have you got a highlighter pen? Like, one of those fluorescent yellow ones? Highlight everything on the card, except for the dodgy bits.

Lol. Maybe I should cross the dodgy bits out?

Storyrider

or some correction fluid...

I was thinking they're more likely to keep her now that they've paid for her room several nights already.

That's true. Good thinking. I always assumed it would make them mad enough to take her to court to recover the monies.

• Author

My brother was saying how in Russian tradition, you bring a bottle of vodka to share when meeting people for the first time. Would that be appropriate, or should I leave my culture behind?