Gossip about work friend

I have a friend at work that's become one of my best friends. She has a very close relationship with her (male, slightly older) boss. This relationship has been noticed by others, and of course rumours are starting to fly that they are having an affair.

At around the same time as I heard that one, I was told that she was having an affair with her previous boss (in the same company). I was told this by her previous boss's wife.

I'm not interested in whether or not this is true - my theory is that if she is, or has been, involved with these men then it's between them. *But* do I tell her about the rumours? I know that the possibility of it affecting her career in a highly negative way is substantial. And I know that she's losing respect from a lot of important people (whether or not it's true).

I feel I should tell her, but what do I say? How do I go about it? Or should I just keep my nose clean and hope she doesn't find out that I didn't tell her?

thankful15289

Barbarella,

My advice is not to tell her. In fact, I would distance myself from her as much as possible while still being professional. If she's doing anything inappropriate (or even seeming to be inappropriate) the fallout will hit more than just her.

I do my best not to have friends at work. It's a hard rule, but work is competitive and you don't want to disclose personal information to people who may use it against you later. And you never know how desperate someone is going to feel, or what they may feel that have to do to save themselves.