Question on Suspension...

This is not for me but my dad actually. I met him for dinner and he told me that he was suspended from work for two weeks for a mishap he did not do.

He is a foreman at a shipyard and has been there for 33 years. Last Friday another foreman was finishing a project in his area and completed it wrong, setting them back about two days. Since it happened in my dads area his boss, who does not like him, suspended him. He said he needed to set an example. Here is the kicker, he suspended my dad effective yesterday, why...because he needed my dad to work the weekend.

His boss started working there a few years ago and since he started my dad has had issues with him. My dad is very good and his job and smart and I think his boss (who is a business man, not an engineer or anything) feels inferior when it comes to the details of the actually work being done.

My dad was suppose to have a review back in Feb but never had one and now his supervisor says that when he returns from the suspension he wants to meet with my dad to go over some issues.

What do you think my dad should do, he's been there for 33 years!!!

Is your dad in a union? Perhaps they can help him with some advice.

Otherwise, I'd say he go into that meeting prepared with a description of his duties and how he handles his job. As well, he should present some thoughts on how to improve things and issues that he is aware of that prevents the crew from performing. Maybe if he can show his boss that he is thinking of the good of the company - and in making his boss look good to HIS boss - his boss will let up on him. But he should be careful not to sound like a know-it-all...rather, like someone who is professional and competent, but without attitude.

narajane's response was awesome.

Sadly, many companies are looking for ways to get rid of older employees in order to cut their pension benefits and wages. Keep that in mind. If Dad is making top wage, the company figures they can get a young man to do the same job for half the wage.

• Author

Thanks Norajane,

Yes, I told him to start documenting everything, day time, event, who said what, what happened, etc and to go back and document things so when he has the meeting he will be prepared. I think my dad might come off as a know-it-all, what he does is very technical and his boss tries to implement changes that don't work and can't work and when my dad tries to let them know that, well, it looks bad and his boss does not like it. He is not in a union which I was surpised to hear!

Dropdeadleggs,

Yeah, that is a huge possibility, he wil be 60 in less then three weeks. And he knows he will loose a lot of money if he retires early. 62 compared to 65 is abour 3,000K.

Thank you both for your replies, I will pass on the info.