I feel somewhat cheated at work.

My supervisor has been looking for a new person for the same position that I'm in. Not to replace me, but because the workload has increased that it is essential to hire more staff. So far he has interviewed 2 guys, and none of them fit the criteria that he's looking for to fill the position...not only that but their salary demands were much higher than he posted on the ad.

Anyway now knowing his criteria on finding the correct hire and knowing how easily I got the job and how eager he was to get me started, I regret not negotiating a better offer on the salary and I know for a fact that I should be earning much more because I do twice the work and get paid less than someone else who could be in the same field elsewhere, I've temped at those places so I do know how much they earn.

My supervisor and another co-worker has been working side by side for almost 4 years, they have much more experience than me and know much more...so they are very much like glue. It's very hard to tell if that coworker is very devoted to his job (workaholic), or just plain sucking up to my supervisor. anyway, often when a new job comes in he will always be eager to jump at it, and if he has nothing to do (during downtime) he's eager to look for something to do to keep himself busy. Since I am the new staff it is only right for me to take up responsibilities and pick up the workload...which I dont think he appreciates. The first week he was pretty friendly with me and chatted, now he's anti-social towards me. So basically put I'm the fresh subordinate, my co-worker is deemed the loyal subordinate.

My supervisor walks the fine line of being a manager and co-worker (he sits near me). So he cant be too friendly or strict. Last Fri, he asked me to go with him into the conference room where we could have privacy...basically in a nutshell he wanted to make it clear to me to jump at work when it's there which I DO...but usually the other guy is much more aggressive, plus I dont want to guy to feel like I'm stealing work from him. The work is there and there is no strict deadline as long as its done on time, so I felt he was on my @ss for no reason. And he briefed me over the workload that was coming next week, which I knew was coming as I overheard him telling the loyal guy which i dont understand why he didnt brief it together with the both of us in the office area instead of making it so private with me 1on1.

Honestly I'm in a no-win situation and he would gladly take the side of the loyal guy over mines any day. Although I'm doing my job well, I feel somewhat alienated there regardless and most of my co-workers I dont fit in well with too much/dont have much in common with.

When you're challenged by your supervisor for assumptions on his part, next time look him/her in the eye and say, "I can see why you thought this. Here's why I didn't...blah, blah, blah... If you want me to be more aggressive about pursuing more work, no problems, I'm there". End off your comments with a big, predatory grin of delight. :laugh:

So, now you know what you have to do. Inject some humour next time, when it comes to the battle to the death for work. Push and shove if you have to. If your co-worker falls down in the tussle, step on him to get to the work. ;)

My first paragraph is serious advice. Don't get yourself cornered with inaccurate assumptions but don't justify, just lay your facts on the table. When the work comes, get aggressive.

justpassingthrough
My supervisor has been looking for a new person for the same position that I'm in. Not to replace me, but because the workload has increased that it is essential to hire more staff. So far he has interviewed 2 guys, and none of them fit the criteria that he's looking for to fill the position...not only that but their salary demands were much higher than he posted on the ad.

Anyway now knowing his criteria on finding the correct hire and knowing how easily I got the job and how eager he was to get me started, I regret not negotiating a better offer on the salary and I know for a fact that I should be earning much more because I do twice the work and get paid less than someone else who could be in the same field elsewhere, I've temped at those places so I do know how much they earn.

Shame on you. You knew how much you could earn and settled for less. Not only that, but you lowered the bar for the people who come after you. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

It's very hard to tell if that coworker is very devoted to his job (workaholic), or just plain sucking up to my supervisor.

Don't let your co-workers motives concern you. Energy is finite; use what you have to focus on what you're doing instead.

anyway, often when a new job comes in he will always be eager to jump at it, and if he has nothing to do (during downtime) he's eager to look for something to do to keep himself busy.

Ya know, those are my favorite type of employees, the "If you've got time to lean you've got time to clean" type. In my managerial experience, I've found those employees to be the ones who genuinely like to work. You're co-worker could very well be like that.

Since I am the new staff it is only right for me to take up responsibilities and pick up the workload...which I dont think he appreciates.

He doesn't, ultimately, have to appreciate you or any of the work you do. At its most basic level, a job is an exchange - services for cash. No appreciation is required.

The first week he was pretty friendly with me and chatted, now he's anti-social towards me.

Red flag: This guy is clearly not appreciating you.

So basically put I'm the fresh subordinate, my co-worker is deemed the loyal subordinate.

Well, seeing as you are the new guy and the other guy has had almost four years to show his loyalty, I'd say that pretty much sums it up.

My supervisor walks the fine line of being a manager and co-worker (he sits near me). So he cant be too friendly or strict. Last Fri, he asked me to go with him into the conference room where we could have privacy...basically in a nutshell he wanted to make it clear to me to jump at work when it's there which I DO...but usually the other guy is much more aggressive, plus I dont want to guy to feel like I'm stealing work from him. The work is there and there is no strict deadline as long as its done on time, so I felt he was on my @ss for no reason. And he briefed me over the workload that was coming next week, which I knew was coming as I overheard him telling the loyal guy which i dont understand why he didnt brief it together with the both of us in the office area instead of making it so private with me 1on1.

Perhaps he was looking for a specific response. Did you discuss how to prioritize the new work or anything that would indicate you could think through the information he had given you? Did you say something that told him you would be eager to tackle the pile? Or, better yet, did you point out that your co-worker has much more experience and is so comfortable/astute/capable when there's new work to do, and make it clear you can't wait until you've reached his level of competence? Hmmmm?

Maybe not.

Honestly I'm in a no-win situation and he would gladly take the side of the loyal guy over mines any day. Although I'm doing my job well, I feel somewhat alienated there regardless and most of my co-workers I dont fit in well with too much/dont have much in common with.

I see nothing in what you've described that says you believe you're doing your job well. Instead, what I see is "overwhelmed."

Let me let you in on something that changed the way I look at going to work. I used to work for a major international shipping company; it was an awesome place to work and I truly enjoyed everybody I worked with. And you know why? During our training, they showed this video and I realized I could choose my attitude. The henpecking, gossip-laden, one-upping, multi-personality, cheating on their partner stuff? Oh sure, it was all there but it did not matter to me because I chose to utilize the opportunity to futher my career. And that, my friend, is what I suggest you think about doing.