Hey guys I'm new to this board but it seemed like the perfect place to come for help. So here is the deal:

I graduated in 2005 with a Bachelors Degree in sociology and soon realized it was impossible to find a job without at least my masters and I didn't really have the money for that or the desire to spend two more years in school. So instead I went back and got an Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies. It only took me a year, I will graduate next week, and during this time I was working 30 hours a week in a small law firm as a legal secretary. I'm only getting paid 8.50 an hour, have a 45 minute commute, and there isn't enough work for me to have a full 40 hour work week. It was obviously not the ideal job but it was the only paralegal related job I could find without any experience. Also at the time I was hired I told the lawyer i work for that i would like to stay long term because I didn't realize that it would always only be 30 hours a week and that my pay would stay so low.

Fast forward to now....I got offered a state position with the general district court right near where I live. The pay is about 12.00 an hour and there is a lot of room to move up within the system.

Here is the hard part though...how do I tell my boss,the lawyer I'm working for, that I'm leaving??? I feel so bad about it cuz everyone I work with is always saying how much they like me and how they never want me to leave. Also I feel like I am going back on what I said to my boss about staying long term. But the thing is I can't live on 8.50 an hour and since school is now over I have to move out of my parent's apartment.

Anyways I am soooo scared to tell him and feel super bad and was just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips? Oh, also my boss is a really nice guy but for some reason I always get nervous and tounge-tied around him!! Well thanks for reading this guys and sorry its long!

Can'tGiveUp

You write a resignation letter thanking him for the opportunity he gave you. You explain that you have been offered a position closer to home with more hours and you feel the need to take it in order to further your career.

Keep it professional and polite.

you might also want to add in your letter that you've learned invaluable skills through this job with his office ...

he prolly figured that you'd be leaving to try your wings at some point, so just let him know that he's done a great job in educating you in this field. Remember, a good boss isn't want to hold you back even when he greatly values you – he wants what's best for you, too!

hey, and congrat's on the state job! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: