How much can a start date be negotiated?

I'm thinking of leaving academics, so I sent a resume for a summer internship and got a phone interview for a full-time position. I aced the phone interview, and seeing as how at the end of the phone interview the interviewer said that our next step was to set up a fact-to-face interview and that she looks forward to meeting with me, I'm guessing I'm going to get a face-to-face. I tend to interview really well, so I've got a decent shot at getting the job offer.

What's the problem? It's February and I don't want to screw my current students or any of the other faculty by leaving in the middle of the semester. How long can start dates be put off?

CaterpillarGirl

If it's a summer position, won't it start after the current semester? Or do they overlap? If they overlap, by how much? Is it possible to conduct your class online or assign an independent project? There must be a contigency for faculty members who go to conferences or do off-camppus research during the semester.

I sent a resume for a summer internship and got a phone interview for a full-time position.

I'm a little confused. Are you interviewing for a full time position to start soon, or a summer internship? If it's for the latter, then you obviously won't have a problem, as your academic schedule will likely end right around the time when the internship is beginning.

However, if they are interviewing for the full time position, I'm presuming they'd want you to start within 2-3 weeks from the date they make you the offer. You might be able to extend that out to a month, but I really doubt you're going to be able to make them weight until the end of your semester.....UNLESS they take so long to make you the offer that the timing works out.

Truthfully, it all depends on when they WANT you to start and when they are willing to LET you start.

They may not need the position for awhile. If that is so, you have leeway. But if they need it filled now, then it depends on how much they want you versus the competition. If you are the best, they will negotiate. If someone else is "as good as" you, then it will be harder.

Since you applied for a summer internship and they have seen your resume, I am guessing that they will negotiate with you. You still may have to leave early...or maybe not...but if it was me as your interviewer, I would at least give you a month minimum. However, if they are thinking "she applied for a summer internship originally," then they may already be figuring May.

• Author
If it's a summer position, won't it start after the current semester? Or do they overlap? If they overlap, by how much? Is it possible to conduct your class online or assign an independent project? There must be a contigency for faculty members who go to conferences or do off-camppus research during the semester.

My original application was for a summer position, but they wanted to interview me for a full-time position that is apriori unrelated to the summer internship. It's a current opening.

Conferences are generally at most a week long, and you just get someone to sub for you. In my department any long term research must be done in a semester in which you aren't teaching. I've got another 4 months to go.