So, let's say my first name is bab.

I just got an email from someone who is the director of a program I am working on adressed like the following:

Dear Miss Bab,

I'm scratching my head on this one. I'm not used to using titles with first names, especially not incorrect ones. It would've been fine for him to address it: Dear Bab, or if he wants to use titles than at least use the correct title and my last name. I'm not really offended by this, more confused as to why he thought that was an appropriate greeting. People are strange.

So, let's say my first name is bab.

I just got an email from someone who is the director of a program I am working on adressed like the following:

Dear Miss Bab,

I'm scratching my head on this one. I'm not used to using titles with first names, especially not incorrect ones. It would've been fine for him to address it: Dear Bab, or if he wants to use titles than at least use the correct title and my last name. I'm not really offended by this, more confused as to why he thought that was an appropriate greeting. People are strange.

Yes everyone is different, but that is what makes the world work.

Miss + First Name is a common form of address in the South, especially from a younger person to show respect while remaining somewhat informal.

Or, English could be the writer's second language.

• Author
Miss + First Name is a common form of address in the South, especially from a younger person to show respect while remaining somewhat informal.

I agree with that. I grew up in the south and when my mom taught 3-year old Sunday school they called her Miss First Name. But in this case we are in the north and I'm much younger than the 50-something american male that sent the email.

I agree with that. I grew up in the south and when my mom taught 3-year old Sunday school they called her Miss First Name. But in this case we are in the north and I'm much younger than the 50-something american male that sent the email.

Well, in that case, I would guess he typed your name first and added the Miss as an afterthought b/c your name alone looked too casual.

It is common to be called Miss/Mr._________ here.

Some are raised to say such things as Yes Sir Mr. Bob.... Yes Miss Bab.

Some are taught it is showing respect.

Miss Scarlet? :lmao:

Now what is the real beef with this guy? :p

the 50-something american

Storyrider, you have hit the nail on the head, as usual. Good call.