'nice guy' interviewers/employers that give you the runaround..

Quite frankly I cant stand 'nice guys' who give you the runaround when you call to follow up, whether or not someone else was hired for the position or there was never one to begin with. They either tell you you're hired and that they'll give you a call on X day, or give you high hopes in some other form. And when the day finally comes you call to get an answer they make more excuses for not having had a chance to call you or just refuse to pick up the phone.

Out of all the interviews I've ever been on the most satisfying one was where the interviewer called me an hr later and told me they picked someone else for the position. I wasn't happy to hear their decision, but i was glad to hear a straightforward answer none the least.

If i were an employer, i wouldn't necessarily be burning bridges with an interviewee...I would give them a straight answer as any person in their right mind would want.

the world is becoming such a pretentious place....

napoleandynamite
Quite frankly I cant stand 'nice guys' who give you the runaround when you call to follow up, whether or not someone else was hired for the position or there was never one to begin with. They either tell you you're hired and that they'll give you a call on X day, or give you high hopes in some other form. And when the day finally comes you call to get an answer they make more excuses for not having had a chance to call you or just refuse to pick up the phone.

Out of all the interviews I've ever been on the most satisfying one was where the interviewer called me an hr later and told me they picked someone else for the position. I wasn't happy to hear their decision, but i was glad to hear a straightforward answer none the least.

If i were an employer, i wouldn't necessarily be burning bridges with an interviewee...I would give them a straight answer as any person in their right mind would want.

I agree! Employers should not give run-arounds! You either have the job or you don't. May as well tell you if you begin work there or if you can move on. When I look for a job, after the interview...I walk out of there, write a Thank you letter, and forget the interview EVER took place. Why? They did not give me an offer yet.

Tete de poulet

I totally agree - except for the last remark. But perhaps you need to get a more direct line of questioning going. Often, I ask people simple questions, and I get a circuitous response. When that happens, I'll usually say (if appropriate), "So is that a 'yes' or a 'no'?" and they get the point.

Hey Guest....

It depends on what type of company your interveiwing for....large corporations and sometimes smaller businesses don't what the left hand is doing....I've recently gone on a few interveiws and was shocked at the changes that have taken place.

It used to be no matter how large the company/corporation was one could contact personnel and get all of the answers....nope not anymore....also each division used to be it's own entity....not anymore.

Most of the time the people you call don't really know.

This is what usually happens today....you put resume in online answering to one of the job openings....key words are picked out and then it is either accepted/rejected....it then goes to the hiring manager....the hiring manager selects those for interveiw.....then after that your application goes through 4 to 5 other processes that are usually contracted out.

This is a long process that can take 2 or 3 mo....the person you call for the info doesn't have a screen for the yes or no until you are actually called for the job offer.

Hey Guest....

It depends on what type of company your interveiwing for....large corporations and sometimes smaller businesses don't what the left hand is doing....I've recently gone on a few interveiws and was shocked at the changes that have taken place.

It used to be no matter how large the company/corporation was one could contact personnel and get all of the answers....nope not anymore....also each division used to be it's own entity....not anymore.

Most of the time the people you call don't really know.

This is what usually happens today....you put resume in online answering to one of the job openings....key words are picked out and then it is either accepted/rejected....it then goes to the hiring manager....the hiring manager selects those for interveiw.....then after that your application goes through 4 to 5 other processes that are usually contracted out.

This is a long process that can take 2 or 3 mo....the person you call for the info doesn't have a screen for the yes or no until you are actually called for the job offer.

Bang on. Sometimes, no matter how much they want to hire you, salary limits, budgetary restrictions, etc. prevent them from addressing it right away. This doesn't mean that they have hired anyone for the job. Sometimes they bide their time until the next fiscal quarter.

It doesn't make it better for the person waiting but hopefully it helps a little to understand.