No actual business could get away with the crap that an academic institution can.

For instance, I was offered quite a chunk of reimbursement for my move. So, I put it all on my credit card. I submitted the receipts at the end of August. Have I seen a dime? Nope.

Also, classes started here September 20th, but there were also meetings that I had to attend before that. Let's say I worked 2 weeks in September. Their fiscal year doesn't start till October first, so my employment date isn't until October 1st. In addition, I haven't yet been paid. I was supposed to get paid today, but apparently my direct deposit (which I signed up for October 1st) still hasn't gone through. So, they have to send my check through some other system, and I'm looking at another 10 days.

Could a real business get away with this kind of crap?

Could a real business get away with this kind of crap?
Of course they could and some do worse. Some do it consciously as in "let's see how long can we delay paying bab."

After all we are talking about people here and sometimes a culture of crap.

In short yes, even business with direct deposit can take 2 cycles to clear.

I had my expenses delayed due to a "lost in transit." I resubmitted it with priority and said no to originals because this is a copy of what YOU lost in transit. I got my paper check in a week just in time to pay the bill late!

Some businesses even MAKE money on delaying payments. Some reasons to have a monthly direct deposit is to cut down on issuing paper checks. Each check and numbers of issues costs money.