Message from the Praying Mantis

For two days running I have found a Praying Mantis in my home. I haven't seen one in ages and all of a sudden I find two in two days.

I've always liked the Praying Mantis. In my country, South Africa, the Bushmen believe that it is a god. While I don't follow the Bushman beliefs, I do believe that there is something special about the Praying Mantis. I've always felt blessed when I see one - like they have special magical powers. Maybe I've just been influenced by the African belief that these creatures bring luck.

While I'm happy to be "receiving luck", I can't help feeling that this visitation in more than just luck. I feel like "someone" is trying to tell me something and am struggling to decipher the message.

I'm currently trying to work out how to get out of a relationship that's going sour with a guy who is completely controlling and over-powering. My self-esteem and confidence have really suffered and this combined with losing my mom to cancer last year has not made for a very joyful time.

Right now I feel confused. I don't know what to do or how to do it. I feel powerless. I feel like I might die - or at least, my soul might - if I carry on like this. I have to make a change... soon.

I can't help feeling that the Praying Mantis came to give me a message. I just don't know what. I found a little information on the symbolism of the Praying Mantis: Power of calmness, stillness, silence, time of meditation,

inner reflection, stillness in healing or in creativity, direct the body's

energy to empower the body.

Do you think it might mean that I should be calm and things will work themselves out naturally? Do you think it was there to reassure me? Maybe I should be focusing on building myself up - feeling stronger before I make any big decisions? Or maybe its telling me that I already have the power to do what I have to do?

I hope you don't think I'm crazy. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Wanda,

There was a time in my life when I felt the, "storms", raging within. I was confused, hurt, in denial, and felt like a lost cause. One night there was a huge storm and I was feeling particularly depressed. I mean majorly. I really love storms though. But for some reason, that night, I just wanted the storm to go away. Both the storm inside and outside. So I prayed. Right afterwards, the storm got 10 times worse.....but I was calm. Very calm. It felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my back.

From that day on, I realized that God showed me that even though the world is falling apart around you, you can have an inner peace that will shell you from it.

Maybe the praying mantis showed up to put the word, "pray", into your vocabulary?

Whatever the case is, don't use the mantis as an example for relationships. ( The female devours the male after sex ).

ah, moosey, ya stole my line: I was going to say, 'hey, isn't that the critter that bites the head off its mate after mating? maybe that's a sign for you to seriously think about beheading (getting out of) the relationship you're in because it doesn't sound like it's working too well ...'

• Author

Dear Pokey, Moose and Quankanne,

Thanks for the replies.

I knew the guys would bring up the 'beheading' thing. Why are guys so freaked out by that?! ;) Everywhere I looked for information on the Praying Mantis, there were guys commenting on the female's tendency to bite the male's head off after sex. In fact, there's a really funny joke about it: The male Praying Mantis comes home and says: "Hi Honey! I'm - WHAT THE...!" Well, I found it funny...