"Misfit" is Not Just a Word

I've seen my friends throw this word around as if it didn't mean anything at all. And with all due respect to youth pastors and Christian book authors like Craig Groeschel, who wrote "Weird Because Normal Isn't Working" (which I didn't fully read btw), there's a problem with what you're doing when you throw words like "weird" and "misfit" around for the sake of 'doing a new thing'.

You see I happen to actually be a real misfit; not just outside the church, but inside as well.

To be honest, it hurts when I see everyone saying they are a misfit or weird just because it's the new Christian hotword. That's the problem.

I get it. We Christians call ourselves weird because we have something on the inside of us that no one else has. We're called to a different standard. (I intentionally did not say 'higher')

But I'm not weird because it's the new trend. I'm weird because I am weird.

To say I don't mesh well with church people would be an understatement. In fact, I get along so much better with people who don't go to church. I get along with atheists, non-theists, muslims, heathens, and heretics.

I used to think that there was something wrong with me. When everyone started talking about how weird they were, they had all these friends in church. Not only that, but they also had little or no friends who did not go to their church or a neighboring church up the road.

What was wrong with me, that I didn't share the interests of the laypeople?

I didn't care for professional football (or college).

I barely watch the news; it's so negative.

I don't eat for recreation.

My passion turned out to be things that the average American church would never find useful. I loved to breakdance. I loved to write stories (they don't like that until after you're famous).

I don't play acoustic guitar. I don't sing. I love computers (programming) but I don't wanna be the sound guy. I love filming videos, but I don't want to film a man on a platform moving only his mouth. God didn't grace me with the "church skills". And the church is my reminder twice a week.

I could go my entire life not using my gifts if I committed to most churches. And to me, that's spiritual suicide.

I have to stand on the outer edge mostly alone while everyone else dances in the middle, calling themselves a misfit.

When you're a misfit you don't get that feeling of solidarity. When you're a misfit you're not afraid to ask questions. When you're a misfit, you're at least not insecure in who you are.

I've had a friend tell me, "I'd go to the ends of the earth for our friendship."

What a surprise when I found out he wouldn't even go to the ends of the church. The day I left is the day he stopped calling.

They all did.

That'll always make you feel as though they have no love for you except outside what for them you can do.

But I continue to purse my passions. I do it for the misfits who need other misfits.

I do it because I believe in God. And I believe in man.

I'm a Christian, a heretic, an atheist, a heathen, a doubter, a believer. I ask questions. I don't support the status quo - I'm a threat to it.

Ok, sorry for getting all poetic at the end. I'm aware of that line with all the contradictions, but the rest is really how I feel.

I could go my entire life not using my gifts if I committed to most churches. And to me, that's spiritual suicide.

When you're a misfit you don't get that feeling of solidarity. When you're a misfit you're not afraid to ask questions. When you're a misfit, you're at least not insecure in who you are.

I've had a friend tell me, "I'd go to the ends of the earth for our friendship."

What a surprise when I found out he wouldn't even go to the ends of the church. The day I left is the day he stopped calling.

Are you speaking of Spiritual gifts? Assuming you are, some churches are are afraid of the gifts for whatever reason, and some just don't understand them. I don't care, if the Spirit falls on me, oh well. It's more important to be obedient.

When you're a "misfit" you just don't care, obedience is more important. Being true to God and oneself and have them to line up is priority.

People are people, in the end it's you and Jesus.

Good post K...

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks, pureinheart.

I was actually expecting people to bash me for this post. I braced myself when I saw there was a reply lol.

You're right though. Part of being a misfit is not caring.

• Like 1

You're in good company, Kaiten. Jesus hung out with heathens too, and criticized "the church" of the time. Ultimately He was hung on a cross because of his misfitness (according to the world, at least).

One stark difference though - He cared. About everything. And still does.

• Like 5

I think this a beautiful post. Honest, sincere and sums up perfectly who you are...by your description, stay a misfit.

• Like 3

I'm not religious (passively spiritual, actually), but perhaps this quotation from Martin Luther King will have some meaning in your situation.

"Modern psychology has a word that is probably used more than any other word in modern psychology. It is the word “maladjusted.” This word is the ringing cry to modern child psychology. Certainly, we all want to avoid the maladjusted life. In order to have real adjustment within our personalities, we all want the well‐adjusted life in order to avoid neurosis, schizophrenic personalities.

"But I say to you, my friends, as I move to my conclusion, there are certain things in our nation and in the world which I am proud to be maladjusted and which I hope all men of good‐will will be maladjusted until the good societies realize. I say very honestly that I never intend to become adjusted to segregation and discrimination. I never intend to become adjusted to religious bigotry. I never intend to adjust myself to economic conditions that will take necessities from the many to give luxuries to the few. I never intend to adjust myself to the madness of militarism, to self‐defeating effects of physical violence.

"In other words, I’m about convinced now that there is need for a new organization in our world. The International Association for the Advancement of Creative Maladjustment‐‐men and women who will be as maladjusted as the prophet Amos. Who in the midst of the injustices of his day could cry out in words that echo across the centuries, 'Let justice roll down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.' "

• Like 2
  • Author

Madman81, I really needed to hear that. I'm very glad I posted this now. I learned so much in those two paragraphs.

Allumere, thank you

• Like 1

No problem mang... happy I could help in some small way.

Hang in there. Life's about finding the path that works for you, and following it through its twists and turns as long as it continues to work for you. And as long as your path doesn't hurt other people, never let anybody tell you it's the wrong path, or that it's less worthy than theirs.

todreaminblue

mifit is just a word, a label that signifies you prescribe to something...not fitting in......

i dont think people can be put into one word boxes......except for two .....jesus and god...instant recognition you just know who they are and what those names stand for......

i see yrou name as kaitin not misfit ...you are called kaitin and you are you ......you love people ...all people......you believe in god and jesus......you like to stand out ...you like to fight the status quo...why katin what are you fighting against ...i prefer to fight for something...if i were to be on a debating team you will find me as end speaker on the pro side.......i am not a threat.....unless you threaten me.....or my family ...then i fight for my right to be exactly who i am, i fight for my right to be heard .....and i am loud when i do ....and people notice.... which is me deb and my voice ...i use it......and ill fight for my family because they are mine.....ill fight for my church because i also am a part of that church and ill fight for my friends because they are mine......they are all part of me and my life ...and i love them.....i love people too and i often fight for others......always for not against someone else but i figh tfor the ones that cant fight for themselves......i prescribe to the belief soldiers fight for the ones who are behind them they love not against their enemies in front of them...it gives logic and reason to all i fight.....and a certain strength where i do not fail to fight ...i always will..........

jesus and god dont fight against.... they fight for something..always..they fight for man .....they fight for all of us......thats how i see life......fighting for not against.....all of us want to feel acceptance.... even you do ....you want to feel accepted as a misfit.....you still want to be apart of something to stand up fro what is right...to have a voice that is heard and understood......i hope you find that thing to fight for.....in you ...around you and for you....with respect i say this for who you are kaitin..and i dont see you as a misfit its a word and not your name you were given....i see you kaitin and i respect that person you are....and your voice in words i hear it..........best wishes........deb

But I'm not weird because it's the new trend. I'm weird because I am weird.

But, are you motivated by love?

To say I don't mesh well with church people would be an understatement. In fact, I get along so much better with people who don't go to church. I get along with atheists, non-theists, muslims, heathens, and heretics.

Psalm 1:1