Martin Luther King Jr. - a man of faith :)

BetheButterfly

Hello,

Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my heroes. :love::love::love:

I have heard of him all my life, same as I have heard of Jesus all of my life. His contribution to the USA has greatly and positively blessed all people, in my opinion. His dream is one many people share today, not just in the USA but all around the globe!

One of my most favorite speeches ever is his "I Have a Dream" speech.

I am so glad that his speech was videotaped for posterity!!! :bunny:

Now, I understand that he was not perfect. I'm not perfect either. However, his strong nonviolence stand and his dream are inspiring and I believe God is very pleased with MLK Jr.'s fight for equality for all people!!!

Even though I never met this man, I really wish I could give him a big hug and tell him THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for all you've done for the world!!! I wish I could wish him a Happy Birthday, though I believe he is in Heaven with Jesus! I wish though that he had not been killed. :( Sadly, people who hate other people do horrible things. :(

Below are some of my favorite quotes from his "I Have a Dream" speech (I boldened some):

"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood."

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

"I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together"

"With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day."

“AND WHEN this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ‘Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!’”

:love:

American Rhetoric: Martin Luther King, Jr. - I Have a Dream

What do you admire about this man of faith whose dream continues to inspire equality and love and respect and tolerance between people of different beliefs, cultures, and ethnicities? :) What quotes of his has inspired you?

Edited by BetheButterfly
bentnotbroken

I think like all of us Dr. King was a flawed man who failed at times. I do believe his faith is what propelled in forward. His faith is what allowed him to walk through the "hell" that most of us can't imagine. I vaguely remember my parents(and grandparents) crying when he was killed. I didn't know what was going on but I remember being upset to see so many adults in my life crying. I had no idea the impact this man and his actions would have on my life or the life of my children.

In most African American homes in the south at least, we grew up with 3 pictures displayed in most houses...Jesus, JFK and MLK. While I think that some of his words have come to pass....I also think he would be pretty disappointed at other things. Thanks for the post. :love:

• Like 2
  • Author
BetheButterfly
I think like all of us Dr. King was a flawed man who failed at times.

Agreed. No mere mortal is perfect. I am most definitely not perfect either, but I am so grateful for Dr. King's taking a stand for the equality of all people, and for nonviolence and love. :love:

I do believe his faith is what propelled in forward. His faith is what allowed him to walk through the "hell" that most of us can't imagine.

Agreed. I think he knew the dangers, since so many white people at that time hated black people and erroneously thought that black people were somehow "inferior." :( Sad to say, some people still struggle with racism today. :(

However, Dr. King was no coward. His faith and love propelled him to fight for love and equality, and made the USA and the world a better place!!! :):love:

I vaguely remember my parents(and grandparents) crying when he was killed. I didn't know what was going on but I remember being upset to see so many adults in my life crying. I had no idea the impact this man and his actions would have on my life or the life of my children.
I wonder if he knew?

In most African American homes in the south at least, we grew up with 3 pictures displayed in most houses...Jesus, JFK and MLK. While I think that some of his words have come to pass....I also think he would be pretty disappointed at other things. Thanks for the post. :love:
We still have a long ways to go in terms of love and equality and tolerance!!!

It would be nice to hear an Atheist's point of view on Martin Luther King Jr., if one would like to comment about this man of faith in God?

• 3 years later...
  • Author
BetheButterfly

In honor of Martin Luther King Jr's day!!!

(Happy Martin Luther King Jr's Day, everyone!!!)

Below are some of my favorite quotes from his "I Have a Dream" speech (I boldened some):

"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood."

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

"I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor's lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together"

"With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day."

“AND WHEN this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, ‘Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!’”

:love:

American Rhetoric: Martin Luther King, Jr. - I Have a Dream

What are your favorite quotes from MLK JR?

Edited by BetheButterfly