interracial relationship

My new boyfriend can not think of marrying me because he is from Iraq. He has to marry a woman from his country. We are deeply in love, but we can not be seen together or his family will disown him. My family is not particularly happy about this either, but he is the world to me. What should we do?

I don't think it's as much a question as interracial dating as it is one of intercultural, and frankly, you've got a pretty tough problem there.

Is he planning to return to his country, or stay here? Either way, it's going to be very, very hard for the two of you to justify your relationship to his family because you are not of a similar background. Love is good, but will it be enough to cross those barriers? Is he willing to sacrifice his family (and subsequently his culture) by chosing to stay with you? Theirs is a whole other way of life and of thinking, with traditions that are deeply ingrained. Are you willing to be shunned or ostracized because they feel their son and brother married beneath them because you don't have the same values?

it's a tough call, and at this point I'm assuming that this relationship is to the point where you're considering marriage, therefore you're asking the question ...