Going back to school/work

I wasn't sure where to put this really so I chose this since its about improving yourself. Anyway I have been out of the work loop for a few years now since I had my kids. I have been a stay at home mom. Now that my kids are both in school, I was thinking of taking a few courses and going back to work. Back before I had my kids I was in childcare. It was nice, the pay wasn't great but it was better than nothing and I enjoyed what I did. I do want to try my hand at something different.

Over the past few years I have grown to really enjoy talking with people and helping them. I would like to maybe get my foot in the door at a local counseling service here in our area, or hotline to help people. My question is, if I go back to school, does anyone know how much school I would need for somethng like that? I'm sure pyshcology classes etc. I'm not seeking to be a pyschologist or anything, but do enjoy helping others. So does anyone know how many courses or what kinds of course I would need to take to get in tha tline of work? Thanks so much.

i think the best thing would be that you go the local centre and talk to the counsellors who work there. they will be able to guide you better in terms of training , courses etc . Its never late to go back to school , college and study for something you want do in life , good luck :)

Different organizations have different requirements. If you want to be a peer counsellor you may only need to take the organization's specialized training. To get into more formal settings, you may have to go as far as an MA in Psych.

i think the best thing would be that you go the local centre and talk to the counsellors who work there. they will be able to guide you better in terms of training , courses etc . Its never late to go back to school , college and study for something you want do in life , good luck :)

My thoughts exactly.