Bullying at an adult learning institution

I'm currently 1/3 way through a one year course at an adult learning institute and need to be there, as I need to get out of my current industry and this is the way to do it.

One of my adult "teachers" constantly berates me (and others) in front of the classroom. We are both in our late forties. I have had several confrontations with her, all at her initiation.

Her behaviour includes publically berating students re- their performance, telling students they have "attitude", using a raised voice and aggressive tone when putting them down verbally, making it difficult for students to ask questions, almost ignoring student questions, saying "this is my classroom, I'll run it how I like", and even told me I wasn't "welcome" in her classroom" at one stage.

Her behaviour oscillates between berating and then being overly nice, but it never lasts, because it is a cycle.

After another rude episode from her today, I told her how I felt (the alternative was to absorb yet another rude situation). I calmly and assertively told her how her behaviour is affecting me, that she is disrespectful, her tone is rude and abrupt but then she is nice and the whole cycle starts all over again. That I am a student and am entitled to respect, and that i no longer trust her due to her flippant behaviour. Problem is, I don't know whether it sunk in.

Somehow, I know she won't change and i feel that she is under-handed, two-faced and a backstabber and it wouldn't surprise me if she manourvres to get rid of me because she is always forming gangs of teachers and has put other teachers down in front of students (if other teachers hate me, it will be hard to get assessments marked off and student life would be hard). She is a piece of work.

Question is, do i make a formal complaint about her? I have been documenting it all. I'm worried it will disadvantage me though as she is very good "friends" with my main teacher, although she has no friends because everybody in her life is used for some reason. I need my main teacher and it would be very uncomfortable for me to "fall out" with my main teacher and I don't really want to.

I don't trust her ability to take what i said on the chin and actually use it for self-reflection and improvement.

Pros and cons of making a complaint? At first, i didn't want to get her in to trouble, but now i am thinking of my self-survival.

Thoughts?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed language

Stop with the "I don't want to get her in trouble" nonsense. You are not getting her in trouble. Her unprofessional behavior is getting her in trouble.

You go to the school administration. If it's a for profit corporation, go on line & see if they have a formal complaint department. Your "Proofs" best include complaints from others in the class & video or audio recording of her methods.

• Like 1

I would also go to someone in the school administration (do they have guidance counselors for the students?) - but only to review the situation with them, and ask them what they recommend you do.

Quite interested in this thread personally, as I work as a teacher in the area of adult education.

What you describe there certainly would not be my style, I think I am very fair and approachable for all learners and would always look to avoid confrontation or classroom beratement of any learners.

Indeed I had quite an awkward one myself to deal with, students asked me to approach another teacher with a similar complaint to what you describe and my problem was that the teacher in question had got me that work and is a very good source of recommending me for work in this area.

At any rate, I sidestepped the issue and a complaint was raised with our employer. My teaching colleague and the two complainants were brought into a formal meeting and compromises were agreed to facilitate both sides.

If what you are saying is true, I think you are entitled to approach the course facilitator or the management of the school,

I think however you should be fair minded and give this lady a chance to amend her ways first. By raising it with her directly you have done the right thing.

Obviously as a teacher I am going to see it too from their viewpoint. While the majority of learners that I have encountered have been a pleasure to deal with, there will always be a few awkward customers who will try to undermine the teacher,

I suspect your teacher has had this problem and is taking a no nonsense approach as such, to show she is the boss,

There are a few adult learners who have a "chip on their shoulder " they will try to undermine the teacher and make life awkward for them.

And I also feel it is far too easy for learners to criticise a teacher and to make comments which are unjustified and without foundation.

I think approaching the management and organising a three way meeting -between yourself and any supporters and the teacher and both airing your case is the way to go, assuming that she does not make any attempt herself to conduct the class in a more professional manner.

I would however disagree with the Dalmatians advice on this one, audio or visual recording of a teachers performance is unwarranted and gives too much power to the learners!

Beendaredonedat

If she's being verbally abusive then I say you put your phone on record and have proper evidence of her behaviour.

I agree that you did the right thing by telling her your opinion on her teaching style. Now, tell us what she said when you were finished 'schooling' her.

REPORT HER

She does not deserve to be a teacher! She should work somewhere else!

MY mom was learning English at a school she liked. She was probably the most enthusiastic student there, she is in her late 50's

and here comes the older teacher who hated my mom and fought with her for no reason and yelled at her in front of the whole class.

My mom stopped going to school afterward!

Edited by Noproblem

Report her. Should the school fail to take action, consider finding another school and make what she's doing very public.

• Author
My mom stopped going to school afterward!

That is terrible. Has your mum continued her education somewhere else?

This one single teacher has ruined the joy for the subject i am learning too. She's shot me down twice now for getting excited and showing initiative, which has pretty much killed my confidence. Several other students feel the same way.

I don't need to record her, because i think that everybody is well aware of her attitude. Problem is, she swings from being extremely abrupt to extremely nice and overly doting, which persuaded me the first few times, but now insults me, thinking she can brush over everything with being 'funny' or overly nice. I don't even want her to be gushy, i wish she'd just stay out of my way until one of us has something educational to ask or say.

After my comments, she kept it professional for the remaining half day, but i am doubtful that will be maintained.

I'm thinking about it now. At first i was super keen on making the complaint, but today i feel more chilled and am hoping she will finally back-off (although i DOUBT it!).

I've still got a day or two to think about what i am going to do. It might not hurt to have a confidential chat with school management first, but if she treats or speaks to me one more time like that, i will not hesitate on making the complaint. I have everything documented with dates and locations. The institute had want to be careful, as this sort of bullying can negatively impact people and they could be open for litigation.

Edited by Soak
  • Like 1